Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Old VS. New : multimeters (usa source)  (Read 2044 times)
SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Maybe its because I grew up in the 80's, and K-Mart was where you got your clothes for school if you were poor...

eh! speaking of which im going to family dollar tomorrow!! maybe I can shop for netbooks  smiley-grin

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

family dollar tomorrow!!

Speaking of 'dollar stores', if have some in your area (I have about four in a 10 mile radius) and haven't been to them you would be amazed at some of the electrical and electronics stuff they sell for $1 each. You can find stuff like cables and small electronic items that have hacking potential or just as parts supply. I was amazed, a caller ID module for a buck could be used just for its case and maybe its display. Cheap Asian stuff for sure, but useful none the less.

Check one out.

Lefty

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

look at the toys too!

dollar stores FTW

Denver
God Member
Inactive - PM
View Profile

This threads got me waxing about multimeters I have known!

When I worked at Allied Radio in the '60's that Simpson 260 was the hottest selling meter we had.

Later in the military, we used the PSM-6 . . .

(It wasn't quite that big, but it was heaver!)

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

dollar stores FTW

dollar tree had a huge assortment of usb cables and high output white led products.. ok so the loot

Usb A to B

Usb A to mini A

3 3inch translucent enclosures with 3 ultra-bright white led's and driver each (mini tap lights)

new earbuds for my psp (slightly less crappy than the 3$ colby brand)

and a cat toy -ball with a US quarter sized pcb containing R G and B ultra-bright , large smd led's ... thinking with a razor knife and a pingpong ball could make a cool (controlled) display

5$ + tax

[edit]oops and a 5 pack of crappy lighters 6$ + tax[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:56:35 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Ontario, Canada
Arduino . . . the little board that could!
View Profile

Yowzer . . . I must be really old . . . not only do I remember those old Simpson meters, I also remember using VTVM's (Vacuum Tube Volt Meters) that needed to be plugged in and warmed up before use. They were however considered to be the gold standard of accuracy back when the likes of Nixon and Ford were the presidents of the United States.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46450559@N05/4433313255/

This picture illustrates my multi-meter history going all the way back to high-school. That old Radio Shack Micronta analog meter was fully functional until about a year ago when my second of three boys got his hands on it. When purchased new in the mid-late 1970's it cost me the king's ransom of about $35 which must have been about two days pay pumping gas at my part-time job.

Ten years ago, I purchased a pair of the little black DVM's when I saw them on sale (marked down to $10 from $40) at my local Canadian Tire store. One lived on my bench and the other got dragged around in a cordura electrician's bag with screw drives, pliers and the like. They were nothing fancy, but gave yeomen's service until one bit the dust about a year ago and was replaced by that yellow one.

It's not name brand and at $60 I am sure I paid too much for it, but at the time it was the only one I could find with capacitance, transistor checking, frequency and temperature for less than $100. It works great although the tilt stand on it broke a couple of weeks after going into bench service.

That latest acquisition is that red UT33C made by UNI-T , that I picked up locally for the princely sum of $19 and to be honest is the nicest meter of the bunch. It's small, light weight and came with a type K thermocouple giving temperature in both °F and °C (which I frequently use). For the price it is great and the only things I would add if I could would be capacitance and frequency.
[media][/media]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:23:37 pm by CSingleton » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: