Go Down

Topic: Basic questions (Read 775 times) previous topic - next topic

zeus2kx

Jan 02, 2012, 09:31 pm Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012, 07:49 am by zeus2kx Reason: 1
Hello,

I have for now a few questions.
1. What is the difference between Arduino Ethernet and Arduino Ethernet Shield?
2. Can I use Ethernet/Ethernet shield and GPS or GSM together on Arduino?

Thanks.

Zeus

zeus2kx

James C4S

1.  "Arduino Ethernet" does not have an on-board USB to Serial chip.  So you must program it with a FTDI cable or ISP.  (It is not programmable over Ethernet.)

2.  GPS and GSM usually connects to Serial.  The Uno and Arduino Ethernet only have 1 serial port.  Software serial is an option.

GSM and Ethernet generally involve a lot of strings which is hard on the Uno's 2K of RAM.  Using both at the same time takes some care.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

zeus2kx

Thanks James.

Basically I am looking for Arduino hardware for a small project.
Can you suggest me what different boards should I purchase if I need:
1. to collect data from gas sensors
2. and transmit/log data on my website using internet.

Thanks.

Zeus

MarkT

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

PaulS

Can you suggest me what different boards should I purchase if I need:
1. to collect data from gas sensors
2. and transmit/log data on my website using internet.

An Arduino, an ethernet shield (spend the few extra $ and get the wiznet one), and the gas sensors.

zeus2kx

Jan 04, 2012, 06:56 am Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 09:44 am by zeus2kx Reason: 1

An Arduino, an ethernet shield (spend the few extra $ and get the wiznet one), and the gas sensors.

Thanks for reply.
Okay I plan to buy this http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield. It is based on wiznet. Did you mean this board?
Don't you suggest should I go for a breadboard or anything better (pre designed with sockets) since I will be installing more than 1 gas sensor?
I need suggestion on it before I pick up.

Thanks again.

Z

zeus2kx

zeus2kx

Hello,

I have an another question.

Is it possible to send data on a website using GPRS module? I think it should. Using a SIM card Arduino can go online and register data.
Any thought?

Thanks.

Z

PaulS

Did you mean this board?

Yes. There are other types of Ethernet shields, but the ones based on the Wiznet chips are much easier to use.

Don't you suggest should I go for a breadboard or anything better (pre designed with sockets) since I will be installing more than 1 gas sensor?

Yes, a breadboard is useful, along with wires, a soldering iron, solder, heat shrink tubing, a multi-meter, and a host of other things.

Is it possible to send data on a website using GPRS module?

It is. But, GPRS modules and associated hardware, and the ongoing cost of a SIM card, are much higher priced, and difficult to use, compared to an Ethernet shield. I'd start with the Ethernet shield. If you need to go wireless, a WiFi shield would be my next choice, if there is WiFi in the area. Only if WiFi and wires are not possible would I go for the GPRS module.

zeus2kx

We can manage SIM operating cost. Most preferable option for me is to have mobility.
I talked to someone in here who sells Arduino told me that I can't connect to wifi internet network using XBee.
I will be very thankful if you direct me that particular kit using which Arduino can get connected to wifi and serve my purpose of sending data on my website.
If I have full info I can start working with GSM and wireless (which you just suggested) to have two different devices.

Thanks a lot.

Z

Go Up