Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Problems Uploading to UNO  (Read 829 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm trying to load the StripInvaders (https://github.com/neophob/StripInvaders) code onto an UNO Rev2. It seems to reset then flash for a while like it's working. Then it goes blank for a few secongs and I am getting the following in Windows:

Binary sketch size: 31888 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync

and in Mac OSX I get:

Binary sketch size: 31888 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I've tried the holding the button trick when I load and I've tried reinstalling the drivers as per the troubleshooting guide, but to no avail.

I seem to be able to upload small sketches, however. I've uploaded several of the example sketches and they seem to work fine.

Any ideas? Is there something I don't know about Uno's and large sketches? Anything I can do to get this working?

View Profile

Well... I'm certainly not an expert at all in this, just learning my self.. But If I may offer some ideas, because it might help my self in my learning.

First off, the biggest thing I see going on is that the project you hope to build is asking for a Arduino board with Ethernet. and the Uno doesn't have that unless you add a Ethernet shield.

could it be that the chip is looking for the Ethernet stuff and the upload is failing because it isn't there?

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

There was a bug on the bootloader that wouldn't work on sketches over 30k.  Here's some information on how to update the bootloader using a 2nd Arduino:  http://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19260

could it be that the chip is looking for the Ethernet stuff and the upload is failing because it isn't there?
That's an interesting suggestion, but has nothing to do with the code-loading process.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

James C4S: That's what I needed! How do we get that information added to the Troubleshooting document for uploading?

beergnome: I do indeed have an Ethernet shield for this project... but I couldn't even get the code onto the Arduino, so it wasn't that.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

James C4S: That's what I needed! How do we get that information added to the Troubleshooting document for uploading?

beergnome: I do indeed have an Ethernet shield for this project... but I couldn't even get the code onto the Arduino, so it wasn't that.
So you disconnected the shield from the Arduino and it still doesn't program? You tried that?

Add: I had to find this post. Here is the post of another user. He is using a Mega, but they use the same usb/serial pins as the Uno.
I did just notice that the ebay auction for the ethernet shield says:
(Buyer please note that you may have to upload sketches to the Arduino mainboard without attaching this ethernet shield on it. Otherwise the sketches could not be uploaded.)
... I didn't notice that before... I haven't tried to upload something - then reboot with the shield attached....

Add2: If my evaluation of the problem is correct, you will also have problems with any Serial functions with the shield connected, but they will work fine without the shield.

If this is the case, and you are a gambling man, which I am  smiley-grin , you might try "pin bending" digital pins 0 and 1 on the shield so they do not insert into the Uno header when the shield is connected.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:01:05 am by SurferTim » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

SurferTim: Yeah, I don't program with the shield connected. It definitely causes problems with serial functions. That, however, wasn't my problem. My problem is that the Uno came with a bootloader that didn't work for stuff over 30k and the program compiles to 31888.

Updating the board in the way that James C4S mentioned corrected the problem. I think that should be mentioned somewhere in the troubleshooting guide... something like:

"If you are using a Rev1 or Rev2 Uno and are attempting to upload a program bigger than 30k, please make sure you apply this fix... "

Oh, and I've done the bend the pin thing before... it's a little more hassle than it's worth for this project because I plan on giving this to someone else once it's working, so I'll never have to reprogram it (hopefully).

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

If this is the case, and you are a gambling man, which I am  smiley-grin , you might try "pin bending" digital pins 0 and 1 on the shield so they do not insert into the Uno header when the shield is connected.

Why bother?  There is nothing connected to pins 0 and 1 on the Ethernet Shield.

Of course if you are buying from eBay, then it isn't an official shield and who knows what was done.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

@James C4S: That is normally true. But in certain shields, there appears to be a problem uploading a sketch with the shield connected.

The item is listed on eBay. The original offer/sale expired, but the seller lists several of these for sale. This is one item number. You can do a search on eBay for that item number to see the listing.
Item #180782676090

Note the warnings:
"Not compatible to Arduino Uno"
and
"(Buyer please note that you may have to upload sketches to the Arduino mainboard without attaching this ethernet shield on it. Otherwise the sketches could not be uploaded.)"

AFAIK, the only pins that would stop the Uno or Mega from programming would be digital pins 0 and 1. Those are the usb serial pins.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I guess I can repeat myself?  There's nothing connected to pins 0 and 1 of the Ethernet Shield.

I have both the Latest Ethernet shield and an Uno.  Never had a problem uploading while connected.

Why you are trying to prove a point with an eBay page that is clearly incorrect is beyond me.  It can't be the "Latest Ethernet Shield" and "Not Compatible with the Uno."  Those are mutually exclusive.  Something else is up with that item.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I've had problems with a previous version (purchased early 2010 from SparkFun) of the Ethernet Shield, but not the newer version.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: