Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino web site very slow  (Read 9380 times)
"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I think Nick doesn't talk about the PMs, but about replies notification. The one that comes floating out of the gray 'arduino' bar at the top. It is a nice effect, but personally I'd prefer if only a little icon / text showed up within the bar itself - not covering a whole of the screen.

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

That is unchecked. I read that as being for personal messages not forum messages. But in any case it is not checked. However I still get the pop-ups.

It is a nice effect, but personally I'd prefer if only a little icon / text showed up within the bar itself - not covering a whole of the screen.

I just don't think it is particularly useful. For one thing, if I go to the forum after being away for a while (eg. in the morning) a whole lot of them pop up. I follow the first one. By the time I have done that the others have gone. And they don't come back. So, I have to click "replies" to see the other ones anyway.

Really what would be more helpful would be a reply count (like a message count). Right now I see at the top RH corner:

Code:
1 new messages | unread posts | replies

It would be nice if it said "5 replies" - then I know to click on replies to see what they are. As it is, I click on it anyway (consuming server resources) just to find no-one has replied. And then, when I am away from the screen making coffee (or getting a beer) the pop-up appears telling me I have a reply, and then it goes away.

So the pop-up consumes resource (presumably for all users, all the time) for no particularly useful effect.

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It would be nice if it said "5 replies" - then I know to click on replies to see what they are. As it is, I click on it anyway (consuming server resources) just to find no-one has replied. And then, when I am away from the screen making coffee (or getting a beer) the pop-up appears telling me I have a reply, and then it goes away.

So the pop-up consumes resource (presumably for all users, all the time) for no particularly useful effect.

FWIW, I totally agree.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

That is unchecked. I read that as being for personal messages not forum messages.

Sorry about that.

But in any case it is not checked. However I still get the pop-ups.

Huh.  I don't get the pop-ups and the forum performance is not too bad for me.  I wonder if that's the culprit.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Hmmm. How do I reboot/reset the forum?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

smiley-lol

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

Oh thy irony!

I was trying to read the replies to this thread and the forum was hanging again.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 16:32 UTC

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Take a look at this:

Another lag spike. And according to FireBug, 2 minutes 35 seconds downloading this:

http://arduino.cc/resources/jquery/plugins/bubblepopup/css/jquery.bubblepopup.v2.3.1.css?fin11

I've already stated earlier that I don't find the pop-up windows useful. And particularly so if it takes 2.5 minutes to generate. This is ridiculous. Can't we turn them off?

Everything else downloaded in, like, 30 milliseconds. Except maybe the jquery-1.4.4.min.js - take took around half a second.

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

True, i save things before i hit post

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Finally sorted it, I think. After another lag spike today I went into AdBlockPlus which I had previously installed to get rid of, well, ads, and added this custom rule:

Code:
arduino.cc/resources/jquery/

That blocks the browser from trying go load that "popup" Javascript query. Now the pages seem to load lightning fast!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Got another massive lag spike just then (about 4:25 pm Australian EST summer time). I don't get the strong impression that the forum administrators care, because all my posts here are ignored, basically.

(About 5:25 am UTC on 29 March 2012).

Even though I use AdBlock to stop the 2.5 minute lag when it tries to look up my outstanding posts, that of course does not stop other people tying up the database while it tries to do it for them.

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

Got another massive lag spike just then (about 4:25 pm Australian EST summer time). I don't get the strong impression that the forum administrators care, because all my posts here are ignored, basically.

(About 5:25 am UTC on 29 March 2012).

Even though I use AdBlock to stop the 2.5 minute lag when it tries to look up my outstanding posts, that of course does not stop other people tying up the database while it tries to do it for them.
I also saw a severe slowdown. I think that they really need to look into fixing the problem.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Deja Vu, we've been here before (about 2009 if I remember), time to throw some more money at the hosting ?

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I'm not convinced throwing money at it will do it. A while back I got the impression the administrators were keenly monitoring the situation with a view to working out the problem. However my recent reports have gone largely ignored. (With all due respect to the forum admins who are no doubt very busy).

I think, though, that some of the "helpful" features, like notifying you of new posts might be bogging down the database. Through no fault of my own, when I check my "subscribed" list there are dozens of pages. That's because every time I reply I get auto-subscribed to that thread. So I wonder if hundreds of people, being checked for thousands of threads, might not be slowing it down.

BTW - another massive lag spike around the time of this post.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Another massive lag spike today followed by what looks like a server/database crash:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@arduino.cc and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This was at: 22:58 Monday (GMT)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Jump to: