Go Down

Topic: How to install pullup resistor on prototyping shield (Read 947 times) previous topic - next topic

I know this is simple, but ....

I want to use the button on the proto shield to toggle pin 2. I would use a pullup but the schematics I see for pullup resistors show the resistor connecting between the switch and ground. There are no taps on the prototyping shield between the button and ground.

How do I get around this?

James C4S

A resistor that ties the input to ground is a pull-down, not a pull-up.

If you are talking about the Arduino ProtoShield (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoProtoShield) that button is connected to the Arduino's RESET.  So you can't really use it for general purpose I/O.

You need to put a button somewhere else on the proto area, so you can connect it to Pin 2.  It's up to you if you want to use an external Pull-Up (or pull-down).  Personally, I would just enable the internal pull-up resistor and avoid the extra component.  The only thing to remember is that when using a pull-up that HIGH = unpressed and LOW = pressed.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy