Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Power LED shield  (Read 9547 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Here is a link the the meanwell drivers. http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/ELN-60-spec.pdf.

There are 3 types,non dimming, type d is 0-10v anolog and the type p is 10v pwm. Thers all ways a but, the type d and p have really long lead times unless your in the uk and rs do the type d.

If you do a shield for the 0-10v it could also control tunze powerheads,Ati lights and any of the t5 dimmable ballasts which are all 0-10v.

i was going to use buck puck for my array but i would have ended up with 16 of them which starts to get expensive where as with the meanwells i can get away with 4 and plug them straight into my profilux controller which has 0-10v control. But thats to easy hence why im lurking around the arduino forum.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:09:58 am by adambrum » Logged

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

The 0-10V control looks pretty straight forward.  I've seen that format on a lot of other standard electrical control systems.  It will be easy to modify my design to account for this.  I'll work on it this weekend.

The buffer ICs I'm using also have an enable pin, so I think I'm going to include that as a separate on/off control.  Here goes another 'minor' change.  smiley-wink

What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

I went through a few revisions this weekend and decided the 0-10V control option was better served by a different (and less expensive) board.  This board can support it as it is currently designed, it's just a little cumbersome to do for the user.   And trying to allow all the flexibility I wanted was making for a very complicated shield to configure and use.

But I want to make an opto-isolator shield and that will be a better solution for the 0-10V control devices.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Make me a shield too  smiley

I have been doing loads of reading about how to do this and i must admit its starting to hurt my head, op-amps,optos and all that stuff is really not my strong point. should go back to pucks and make it easy for myself.

Just quickly while im here, the way im tackleing the 5v pwm to 0-10v is to take the 5v pwm ( through a opto, nice idea ),smooth it with a resistor and cap and then stick it into a op-amp with 2 equal resistors to get 10v. Does that sound about right.

Building a led light for my tank is the easy bit apart from soldering 96 cree leds
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:46:04 am by adambrum » Logged

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

OK, who is interested in a Power LED Shield?  Once I submit the design, I'll order a few boards and sell them at roughly my cost.  Speak up and I'll make sure I order enough of them for the first round, at least.  Not asking for a commitment on buying them - just want to gauge how many I should order.

If you're more interested in the opto-isolator shield for 0-10v control, let me know.  I haven't started that one yet, but I will shortly after I order the power led shields - maybe over Christmas vacation.  And I'll start a new thread for them once I get some specs/features put together.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I am also working on a project for a 10 Gal. LED lighting module controlled by Arduino, I don't have any code yet, as I am working on the idea, I have so far drawn the prototype on paper and have the materials needed to start. I only do this on weekends as I have a full time Job and a 2 year old that “demands” my full attention. I only work around his naps… Anyway, I'd be very interested on your project I am new to the platform and could use some pointers on writing the sketch. I so far have read the “Getting started with Arduino” by Massimo B. so I am going to do some research.

My wish list for the project is:
Dimmable white lighting
Blue/Red mood lighting (independent from each other)
And room for an automatic feeder. (not attempting on first run)
Please post pictures, sketches, diagrams, etc. would be helpful for me to get started. I will be posting my research and pictures of my work as I work through it.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Fantastic!

Just add a real time clock + LCD and here we have a complete controller for reef aquarium lightning.

Two for me please!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Very cool, Please sign me up for 2. I would like to use for bicycle commute lighting.

(bad bicycle addiction)

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

Hello and Happy New Year!  

I haven't sent the shield out to fab yet due to another project needing attention.  But I'm getting ready to again.

And I'm glad I didn't because I found a serious error in them last night.  That's fixed and I spent an hour or so checking the rest of it and shortening some traces.  I'm going to do a complete round of checking measurements and fit, and then send it off.

adambrum, the way you are describing the 0-10v control should give you analog dimming if it's done right.  I'm using all PWM dimming for now until I figure out a good conversion schematic.  I don't have that yet.    BTW: why do the reef lights use white, red and blue, but not green?

Omar, nfh63 and Zap, I'll gladly work with you on this and provide whatever advice I can.  But with all due respect, I can't order 6 prototype boards for folks with no history on the forums.  Once I am satisfied with the boards and can sell them, we can work out something.  I appreciate your interest.  smiley

Zap, this will work great for your bike light.  This shield is a variation on my own bike headlight design here: http://www.chesterfamily.org/Projects/BikeGenerator/

nfh63 and Omar, the reef community provided the "push to actually do something" for me.  I came across a reef DIY site and found some of the better systems to lack much control and efficiency.  So I figured I could do something with that.  I will be interested to see how these work for reef lighting.

Here's the latest design:

Plano, TX
View Profile

Have you verified that the pins of the through hole components in the upper left corner of your shield won't short out against the Arduino USB connector when the boards are plugged together?  You might need some kind of spacer between the boards with this layout.  Good luck with your shield!

-Carl

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

Well, no.  And as I'm looking at my proto shield, I'm pretty sure there will be contact.  I'll have to use longer header pins or something.  Or maybe some fish paper.  Thanks for the warning!

NY/OH/PA
LED Lover
View Profile

Do you have any idea what these would cost?

They are a GREAT idea and I am very happy to see someone is doing something like this.  

I recently purchased a luxdrive boostpuck for a LED project I have been working on so I see where you are going with this and I like it!!

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

The prototype boards are going to run me about $25-$30 USD each just for the PCBs.  I'm looking very diligently for sources of volume manufacturing and assembly.  But this is my first foray into circuit boards beyond just making them for myself.

I'm glad you like it!  I can't wait to get a couple out into the wild and see what people think.

View Profile

Brilliant shield idea! I would take one shield as well for that price! Do you ship to Europe/ Germany? I prefer the Duemilanove shield and not the discussed Mega shield...

One idea for the shield you may include:
1) In case of using two boards the control pins needs to be changed. Is a jumper solution in the shield the right way on a way to a more flexible solution?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:27:37 am by soulid » Logged

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

Thanks!  Sure, I can ship anywhere (more or less).  It's just a matter of cost.  For a little PCB, it's probably not that expensive.

The pins can be selected per channel and the input impedance of the shield is very high, so you could in theory stack a dozen or more shields!  smiley-grin  The shields use any combination of pins 3, 9, 10 and 11 (I don't use 5 and 6 because they are tied to TCCR0B which drives the uC clock)  I will be providing a sample sketch or maybe a library that allows you to set the PWM frequency to a value other than the default 490Hz, up to 3900Hz.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: