Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: how to do 6 to 9volts to 360 to 400v step up Dc?  (Read 734 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm trying to get around 400v DC output, I'm using a 555 for a square wave which powers a transformer. I've tried a few transformers that I have which have come out of other things like wall socket dc adapters and old radios ect...
The problem is when I feed the power into the transformer I cant read any voltage output on my multimeter. (I tried both sides on each transformer because I wasnt sure of the primary and secondary windings).
I have my 555 set in astable mode an tried very high frequencies from aprox. 40,000Hz to low at around 10Hz.
My power input is a 6v rated (250mA) dc power adapter (which seems to read 9v+ on the multimeter).
Ive attached an example of the kind of setup I have .. I tried using a 2n3055 transistor instead aswell.
I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong?! any ideas?

* example.png (22.98 KB, 922x339 - viewed 24 times.)

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

If you are using a NPN transistor it would work better as a low side switch for the primary winding of the transformer, wired emitter to ground, collector to primary winding, other primary terminal to +Vcc, and probably could use a series base current limiting resistor from the 555 output to the base terminal of the transistor.

Second, transformers have a specific frequency response determined by the core material used, so you need to keep the switching speed compatible with the frequency response of the transformer, 50/60 hz for power transformers, 1Khz for audio transformers. Also because you want to step-up in voltage you have to use the windings with the fewer turns for the primary and the windings with the higher turns count as the secondary. You are going to need a transformer with a very high turns ratio to get 400 volts out of a 9 volt input. like 1:1600 if memory serves me right (voltage ratio = square root of the turns ratio ? )

Lefty

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:45:08 am by retrolefty » Logged

Denver
God Member
Inactive - PM
View Profile

You might want to look at some proven circuits. Geiger counter HV circuits are all over now.
Sparkfun has a simple one with a transformer (see schematic) . . .

But one I really like that uses a 555 and a small inductor is here.
It provides an adjustable and regulated 200-500V.

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

You also want to rectify the output of the transformer with a diode or better yet a diode bridge and then put a capacitor across it and then measure the DC output. Cheap (and not so cheap) multimeters are not good at reading high frequencies with funny waveforms, which is what you have.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: