Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LED Birthday card.  (Read 1121 times)
Wales, UK
Dabbling
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

It is a friends birthday tomorrow and like the typical bloke type I forget to get her something special. And its the end of the month with big bills arriving so an extravagant shopping expedition is not possible.  So yesterday I had the idea of returning to my childhood solution which was to glue some junk together and blag the 'I made it specially for you' excuse smiley

Because I'm lazy the I used a spare mobile phone charger rated at 5.5 Volts and 800 mA. This way I don't need regulation components or battery boxes or even batteries. I used a Atmel8 with Arduino boot loader burnt on it because you can buy them for about £1 and I have a box of them for this sort of project. I programmed it in a standard Arduino and then swapped it over to the custom PCB.  I also used a bit of code I wrote for a Knight Rider type LED scanner that uses software PWM as there were not enough built in PWM channels for that project. The PCB was milled on my Proxxon MF70 that I recently converted.

So in summary everything on this project was from the junk / spares box!

I am using the free version of Eagle so am limited to about 3 by 4 inches on PCB size. The Proxxon Miller also has a limited area for larger work.

My soldering leaves a lot to be desired, maybe I'll ask for a good soldering iron for my next birthday smiley-wink

The bare minimum, A crystal, Reset tied to +ve and the power supply is taken care of as it will be powered from a 5 Volt mobile phone charger wall plug unit.

The layout was a squeeze!

This is the finished gift, should look good hung on a wall or illuminating the inside of a bin  smiley-wink
[media]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6_rXkymFHA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6_rXkymFHA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/media]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:49:43 am by o0Mouse0o » Logged

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

Nice job.    

Anyone should be happy to receive a gift that took so much to put together.  Money pales in comparison to what you did here.

Newcastle, England
Always learning!
View Profile

Wow! That's impressive! A lovely thought for a birthday card / present.
Maybe I'll have to build myself one for my birthday?
 smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

My website: http://www.harryrabbit.co.uk/electronics/home.html Up and running now! (Feel free to look round!) smiley-grin

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Mouse, this is a pretty awesome gift unless the girl can do the same as you did. So, is this girl married?   smiley-wink

Wales, UK
Dabbling
View Profile

So, is this girl married?
Yea, to an awesome friend.   smiley-razz

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Yea, to an awesome friend.

Haha, that's still cool! I'll make my wife one for sure. Do you know of any insulating transparent/translucent jell that I can use to embed the circuit board into (make the shape of a heart smiley )

Wales, UK
Dabbling
View Profile

Thats an idea, I was planning on having a simple perspex front but didn't have time.
Maybe worth experimenting with bathroom / DIY silicon sealer. I've noticed that most of the clear stuff goes opaque or 'misty' when its set.  smiley-wink
I'm sure a small heart shaped jelly mould with some grease on it for releasing will finish it off a treat.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: