Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: PCB make+assemble service  (Read 6094 times)
Check twice, etch once
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I'm looking for a service that could manufacture 200+ double sided PCB's and solder the SMD components (both sides) in place.

What's the cheapest?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Where are you located?
What is the size and complexity of the boards?
Do they need to be surface mount?
If so, how many and what size components?
Do you want solder paste & silkscreen? 1-side, 2 sides?
Do you want them electrically tested for continiuty or shorts? All of them? Some percentage of them?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Check twice, etch once
View Profile

Where are you located?
Between the weed and strippers
(the netherlands)

What is the size and complexity of the boards?
22mmx13mm
don't know the complexity, look for yourself:

Do they need to be surface mount?
If so, how many and what size components?
Component list:
-QFN32 SMD IC
-MIC5205
-2x 10uF (1206)
-4x 0.1uF(0603) (from which 2 are mounted on the bottom)
-2x 10K (0603)
-1x 330 Ohm (0603)
-One of those tiny 16Mhz 3 pad crystals with built in 22pF caps.
You might have already guessed it but it's a arduino clone based on the Pro Mini

Do you want solder paste & silkscreen? 1-side, 2 sides?
Yes. The components are all SMD and most of them are at the top, some at the bottom.

Do you want them electrically tested for continiuty or shorts? All of them? Some percentage of them?
Yes, at least a couple need to be tested, not a lot.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Will look when I get home, can't open from here...

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

"Between the weed and strippers"

Had to think about that a while smiley-cool I'm thinking you are referring to Amsterdam.

Check twice, etch once
View Profile

"Between the weed and strippers"

Had to think about that a while smiley-cool I'm thinking you are referring to Amsterdam.

Good guess! Actually meant Holland , not specifically Amsterdam. I can drive to Amsterdam in 30 mins. though.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes, but I didn't know how pervasive the 'culture' was.
I've only been to one of the coastal towns, in offseason for an electronics convention,  and didn't see any of that.

Check twice, etch once
View Profile

I've also actually never seen the "rode ruiten"(=red windows) in Amsterdam.

Been shopping for electronics parts there though. It sucks Holland doesn't have a lot of stores like Radioshack etc. And when we order something from Mouser shipping is more than $26!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Is stuff expensive from Farnell.com, Newark.com also?

4.85 euro for a '328 chip - yes, I guess it is!
http://nl.farnell.com/atmel/atmega328-pu/mcu-8bit-avr-32k-flash-28pdip/dp/1972087

Check twice, etch once
View Profile

Yes, the  components are more expensive then mouser and shipping even worse.

I hate the fact that mouser has a NL domain with components more expensive then the .com while they come from the same warehouse...

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Well, if you have the gerbers & a PL, I bet you could have a place like iteadstudio.com quote building those for you.
It's a good qty, more than I'd want to hand assemble.
Probably still get hosed on VAT tax.

Colorado
Edison Member
Reviving dead brain cells with Arduinos.
View Profile

If you can move all the components on one side of the board, you should be able to do your own skillet reflow soldering.  I do it all the time.  Last project I did was 350 tiny boards.  Took the better part of a week, but it wasn't too hard.  Like I said, to make it easy, you want all the parts on the same side of the board.

Not using any specific parts, just general/generic ones, the individual cost if purchased through Digi Key would be around $3.62 $3.85.  With PCB service through ITeadStudio, add another 25 cents each.  And I would strongly suggest getting stencils made ... $25 for 6-up on a single 8.5 x 11 sheet.

I should note, the pricing I looked at were for bulk purchases of 250, 500, and 1,000 pieces.  In some cases it's cheaper to purchase 1,000 of something than it is to buy 800.

Your design doesn't seem to have an ISP header broken out (or if it does, it's not in the standard 2x3 configuration).  You're going to need that to put a bootloader on the board (if you're planning to run Arduino on it), or to burn sketches directly to the board.  Might also be worth it to break out the FTDI pins if you haven't already.

As CR mentioned, chances are you will get nailed with VAT when you get them.  But, if you think you'll be ok, and you want to provide parts (or the money to procure them), I'm happy to cook them for you with the only requirement that you move the parts top-side only.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:32:35 am by KirAsh4 » Logged

Check twice, etch once
View Profile

If you can move all the components on one side of the board, you should be able to do your own skillet reflow soldering

Since i'm a student and i'm busy with school a lot i can't spend that much time. I am making an arduino based reflow oven controller for the first prototype batch (about 10 boards).

Check twice, etch once
View Profile

Your design doesn't seem to have an ISP header broken out (or if it does, it's not in the standard 2x3 configuration).  You're going to need that to put a bootloader on the board (if you're planning to run Arduino on it), or to burn sketches directly to the board.  Might also be worth it to break out the FTDI pins if you haven't already.
Nope, ISP is not broken out but i'm planning on making a simple board that has all the pins broken out to standard 2.54mm header pins and that adds ISP header. FTDI pins are already broken out though.

Colorado
Edison Member
Reviving dead brain cells with Arduinos.
View Profile

If you'd like, and are willing to share your design, I can attempt to re-route them to the top layer.  But that's entirely up to you and would of course depend on whether you want to do that and/or want to figure out if it is worth the cost to have them outsourced, or if you want to do them yourself.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: