Go Down

Topic: What is a "shield"? (Read 647 times) previous topic - next topic

louarnold

I have read over and looked at the pictures of all Arduino boards. Some are, however, marked as a "shield". What is meant by the term "shield" in this context? Are they for added components to be controlled by the main board - a substitute for, say, a solderless prototyping board? Are they to be "piggy-backed" on a main board - somehow plugging in on top?

zoomkat

A shield is an adapter of various types that is made to plug onto the top of an arduino.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

James C4S

"Shield" is the name given to anything that plugs in on top of the Arduino. 

Here's some examples: http://shieldlist.org/
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Jassper

Shield is a bit misleading as "shield" it implies that it "protects" the Arduino.
What a shield does is add to the functionality of the Ardunio board, and in most cases making the Arduino more vulnerable to outside influence.

I believe the intent was for the Shield's to have all necessary protections built in so miss-use would not damage the Arduino, but often this is not the case, care must be taken when using shields such as correct polarity and current limiting resistors.

"Adapter Card" would be more apt.

Grumpy_Mike

I believe the intent was for the Shield's to have all necessary protections

No that was never the intention.
It is called a shield simply because it goes over the arduino board. No protection is implied.

Jassper

Jan 09, 2012, 08:55 pm Last Edit: Jan 09, 2012, 09:03 pm by Jassper Reason: 1

I believe the intent was for the Shield's to have all necessary protections

No that was never the intention.
It is called a shield simply because it goes over the arduino board. No protection is implied.

So it's aesthetically named and not functionally named - figures.

louarnold

"Shield" is the name given to anything that plugs in on top of the Arduino. 

Here's some examples: http://shieldlist.org/

Thank you. The pictures made the matter clear.

Grumpy_Mike

So it's aesthetically named and not functionally named - figures.

Yes like there is no cottage in cottage pie, no fun or fairness in a fun fair and no cum in a cumquat. 

Go Up