Go Down

Topic: IRDA Stack (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

siouxes

Hi guys, i am implementing the IRDA stacks... i have downloaded documentation from www.irda.org and i have started implementing irPHY layer... the only physical layer that arduino can handle without any other IC is the IrSIR (substantially an UART with very short impulses).

I make some test, and i can send out from any pin the correct sequence of pulses at the correct timing, and this train is correctly detected from a standard irda port on my laptop. I have attached only an IR LED and a resistor to the output pin of my arduino.

On the receiving side, i have connected an IR Transistor, with an NPN transistor that squares the receiving signal... i am trying to detect the incoming pulses but it seems to be too fast... i need your opinion to evaluate if continue with the project or if it is not feasible.

The incoming train, is an asynchronous frame, very similar to an RS232 frame: one start bit (0), 8 bit of data, no parity, 1 stop bit (1);

So if the byte of data is for example 11001100, the train look like this:
Code: [Select]

DATA
    0   1    1    0   0    1    1   0   0    1
    ^                                       ^
    |                                       |
   start bit                               stop bit

IR Beam
   IR            ***                           ***       ***                           ***       ***
NO-IR        ***   *** ********* ********* ***   *** ***   *** ********* ********* ***   *** ***   *** *********

The 1's bit is not transmitted at all, the 0's is transmitted as a single pulse of 3/16*baudrate duration. Just for clarify, if the baudrate is 9600, the pulse width is 19,53us.

I am using for digital pin 2 for receiving, so i use external interrupt to correctly handle incoming train; i make several test with different alghoritm, but i can't receive correctly the train... i have tried with pulseIn, i have tried directly polling the pin, i have tried to receive every bit with interrupt, but nothing. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas...

OsuDan

Hey looking for this exact library for a project of mine, any luck with it? Sounds like you were close as of this post.

JoeN

Is IrDA making a comeback?  Is it still relevant to a certain industry?  I had almost forgotten about it.
I will never ask you to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

Grumpy_Mike

Well I would go for the interrupt method.
Why did yours fail? You wern't trying to do too much in it like do a print were you?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy