Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Benchtop power supply and outlet / other homemade power supplies?  (Read 1535 times)
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just took a week or so off my projects to finish one I've had sitting half-done for a while. It's a benchtop power supply/outlet that is controlled by one switch. I used an old power supply from a desktop to get Ground, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V. For the enclosure I used MDF (a pain to finish!!) assembled with all mitered edges. The back is screwed on with non-obtrusive black screws were I to need to give it a good dusting once in a while. I just finished it up about ten minutes ago with some rubber feet and labels for the power knobs. (might be helpful...) The knobs are the RS banana jack/binding post type. I'm thinking this project will come in very handy especially for a benchtop outlet for my soldering iron. The outlet and power supply are switched by the one switch so I can know that everything is off when I leave the room. Does anyone else have a neat homemade power supply they'd like to share a pic or two of?
~Alex

"#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))  - Shakespeare."

View Profile

Also I just found my design on Sketchup that I made before even cutting any wood. Check it out:

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Quite nice - my only suggestion would be to make the jacks different colors to correspond to "standards" - red for 5V, yellow for 12V, and blue (or some other color?) for the 3.3 volt output...

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

yes, I was thinking that as soon as I put all three reds in a row... I don't know where I could find these type of jacks in another color though. Maybe a little Krylon plastic is in order...

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

Digikey, mouser or any other "real" electronics supplier

South UK
God Member
View Profile

looks good mate, and very usefull!

How accurate are your voltages? I tried making one a while ago but even with a small load I could not keep the 12v rail above 12v

Cairns - Green Island for Winter
View Profile

So where does the power in come from and you did not show or mention that?

Governments should do what they were designed to do only.
Manage the larger issues best done by Government.
My Family and my Property are no

View Profile

How accurate are your voltages?

The voltages are certainly not perfect, but useable by me. the 12V tie puts out ~11.75V solid, I haven't been able to do anything to it that have pulled it much lower.

So where does the power in come from and you did not show or mention that?

I guess I failed to mention how the power gets into the box... I just have it hard wired through a three-wire cord, maybe 6 feet long. It allows me to reach an outlet in all the spots I need to use it. So it puts a switched outlet on my desk where I don't need to move shelves and rearrange the house to get at.  smiley-roll

After using it for a few weeks it has turned out very useful, although one catch I've found is that the PSU has some sort of "short-protection" circuit, so you have to be sure to balance your circuits, unlike the 7805's that you can beat the livin daylights out of!  smiley-lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: