Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uptime (Read 4472 times) previous topic - next topic

limbo

I want to share with the community my UPTIME solution (which can be even better)

The original idea was to have some kind of diagnostics for power failure on my relay board.
The millis() was a quite good to give me back the time since last system restart.
The code here can convert millis() to days-hours-minutes-seconds and report the time via serial connection.
The bad thing on this case is that Arduino UNO autoresets the device when the serial connection is starting so millis are going back to zero.  :-[

Anyway for stand alone devices or devices that are not following the UNO autoreset function, I think this is a good solution to get some kind of diagnostics.
Code: [Select]
/*
* DEVICE UPTIME
* -------------
* Returns the total time in days hours minutes and seconds that arduino running *
* Limitations apply:
* Arduino UNO autoresets the board on new serial connection so logs are reseted too.
* millis overflow every 50 days or so
* The stats are not aqurate for very long period of time but its good for diagnostic
* purposes when arduino is used for final (standalone) project
* I use it on my relay board in order to get info if something went wrong
* Good to know that a power failure caused syste to reset.
*/

//  Creator Nikos Georgousis
//  JAN 2011

int incomingByte =0;
long currentmillis=0;
//############################################ SETUP vvvv  ####################################
void setup () {
 Serial.begin(9600); // open serial port
 Serial.println("'Project Uptime"); //print something to notify user on restart
}
//############################################ SETUP ^^^^ #####################################
//############################################ LOOP vvvv  #####################################
void loop () {
 SerialCheck (); //redirect ro serial check
}
//############################################ LOOP ^^^^  #####################################
//########################################### SERIALCHECK vvvv  ###############################
void SerialCheck () {
 if (Serial.available() > 0) {
   incomingByte = Serial.read();
   {    
     if (incomingByte==63) // if ? received then answer with data
     {
       currentmillis=millis(); // get the  current milliseconds from arduino
       // report milliseconds
       Serial.print("Total milliseconds running: ");
       Serial.println(currentmillis);
       uptime(); //call conversion function to display human readable time
     }
   }
 }
}
//######################################## SERIALCHECK ^^^^  #################################
//############################################ UPTIME vvvvv  #################################
void uptime()
{
 long days=0;
 long hours=0;
 long mins=0;
 long secs=0;
 secs = currentmillis/1000; //convect milliseconds to seconds
 mins=secs/60; //convert seconds to minutes
 hours=mins/60; //convert minutes to hours
 days=hours/24; //convert hours to days
 secs=secs-(mins*60); //subtract the coverted seconds to minutes in order to display 59 secs max
 mins=mins-(hours*60); //subtract the coverted minutes to hours in order to display 59 minutes max
 hours=hours-(days*24); //subtract the coverted hours to days in order to display 23 hours max
 //Display results
 Serial.println("Running Time");
 Serial.println("------------");
   if (days>0) // days will displayed only if value is greater than zero
 {
   Serial.print(days);
   Serial.print(" days and :");
 }
 Serial.print(hours);
 Serial.print(":");
 Serial.print(mins);
 Serial.print(":");
 Serial.println(secs);
}
//############################################ UPTIME ^^^^  #################################

QBikal

Are you aware that you can slice a small trace line on the Arduino PCB to disable auto-resets. I found it very useful for a couple of my projects.

Here is a clip taken from http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno
[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=12]The Uno contains a trace that can be cut to disable the auto-reset. The pads on either side of the trace can be soldered together to re-enable it. It's labeled "RESET-EN". You may also be able to disable the auto-reset by connecting a 110 ohm resistor from 5V to the reset line; see this forum thread (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213719666/all) for details.[/size][/font]

Tvixen

Oct 24, 2014, 03:16 am Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014, 03:47 am by Tvixen
Thanks Limbo  :D  saved me 20 mins

Go Up