Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino vs Lego Mindstorms Ev3  (Read 3137 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I can't decide what to buy but I'm leaning towards Arduino. Arduino has more possibilities because it is not only for robotics, but the main thing I want to do is robotics. Arduino is much more cheaper and you just buy some component if you need it for your project. The main thing that is stopping me from buying arduino is how exactly do you make robots with it. I understand you can buy motors and connect it to the microprocessor, but how exactly do you build mechanisms to connect to the motor. For Mindstorms, you have Technic pieces, beams, bricks, and wheels to actually make mechanisms that you can connect to the motors so that the robot can do things, such as moving. Does arduino have its own pieces for robotics?

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Well there's now a robot base in the Arduino shop, so maybe some more robotic parts
are planned, but in general Arduino is in the real world, you have to source your own
parts (but there are many good sites to go to for inspiration and help).

Sparkfun, Adafruit, Pololu spring to mind, the latter being particularly robotics centred.

And numerous examples of Arduino based robots are to be found if you search, grab the
good ideas!

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Arduino rocks
View Profile

@jaswant135 - there are many possible answers to your ?n.  As an example, you could take an old RC car, re-purpose its chasis, motor, servos, etc and have them all be driven using components that can drive them - all under the "command" of the Arduino.

I am currently working on a project that uses an old RC car chasis (http://alibe.codeplex.com/). It's a chasis from an old radioshack "Pro-Pulse" rc car. Works pretty good once you get it all figured out.  BTW, you might want some hot-glue sticks and hot-glue gun smiley

Arduino is probably the best routes to take (IMHO) as it gives you the end-end options. You can start small and go anywhere.  Search the forum for Arduino in satellites. sky is literally the limit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: