Go Down

Topic: Arduino and VMUSIC2 (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

dorkbotdc

Aug 28, 2007, 05:50 am Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007, 06:02 am by dorkbotdc Reason: 1
To date, I've been able to get back an answer to a "DIR" command, but I can't seem to get the VMUSIC2 to properly indicate when an audio file is done playing (I don't even get the command prompt back).

I thought that perhaps I'd have to upgrade the firmware, but it gives "Bad Command" when I try to "FWU" it.

On the other hand, I seem to have no problem playing back files using "V3A" or "VPF".

UPDATE:  It turns out that my firmware is so old (Ver 01.12) that it doesn't even have the FWU command...I'll have to ask Vinculum to see what I can do about upgrading the firmware.

dorkbotdc

New Update:

Yep, I had old firmware.  I downloaded the newest firmware from Vinculum (http://www.vinculum.com/downloads/firmware/ftrfb_main_03_56VMSC1B.ftd), and renamed it "ftrfb.ftd" and put it on a thumb drive.  I powered it up, and it reflashed the firmware.

Now I'm at "Ver 03.56VMSC1".

Good news: There is some evidence that it sends out the "Playing 1.MP3" style messages once you start playing.

Bad news:  Now bringing CTS high appears to stop playback, although that is the only way you can receive serial data from the device.

Ack!  Looks like I'll have to bang on it some more.

katapulp

Mar 01, 2008, 11:31 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008, 12:26 pm by katapulp Reason: 1
I have trouble making the VMUSIC work with Arduino... Could some please give a hint?

Schematics:
http://www.l16.fr/temp/vmusic_arduino.jpg

Code: [Select]

void setup() {
   Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
   Serial.print("VPF test.mp3");
   Serial.print(13,BYTE);
   delay(10000);
}

Problem:
The VMUSIC turns on well but does not play any sound... All I want is to command the Vmusic from the Arduino.

I cable the boards as shown on the picture... I pulled-up the jumper pin to activate the serial UART mode instead of SPI.
The TX pin of the arduino seems to send the signal well, but the VMUSIC is not responding even if the LED is green.

Should I format my usb key to a specific standard?
I read that "Disks which do not have a sector size of 512 bytes are not supported".

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help.

wayoda

Mar 01, 2008, 01:33 pm Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008, 01:35 pm by wayoda Reason: 1
Hi katapulp,

...Am I missing something obvious?

Yes, I think the GND of the Arduino and the GND of the VMUSIC must be connected.

That is very obvious, but since I don't have a VMUSIC myself I can't tell about the rest of  the wiring.

BTW any reason why you don't power the VMUSIC from the Arduino-USB-Supply instead of the external Power-Supply ?

Eberhard

katapulp

Yep, it's working if I connect it without external supply. Does anyone know why?

Go Up