Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: detect falling object with infra red (urgent)  (Read 1641 times)
Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

You shouldn't need to use analog reads. That will fundamentally slow it down. I did a post here about using an op-amp as a comparator. In fact that was about measuring light:

http://gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11011

Use a simple circuit like that, and then a digital read (and preferably an interrupt). But a loop with a digital read should be OK at those slow speeds.

Life is art is life.
View Profile

You should go with interrupts as PaulS suggested. They will give you the fastest response possible. They might seem a bit complicated but will help you out in the long run.

So, 50 mS to drop that distance. Since an ISR can activate in around 3 uS (16000 times as fast as that) you should easily be able to detect even very heavy objects, like elephants, falling.
Sorry to sound like a smart aleck but speed of an object falling has no relation with the weight of object. Galileo showed this by throwing 2 balls of different weights from the Leaning Tower of Pisa smiley-razz

Scotland
View Profile

That is in a vacuum, wind resistance is a factor for one!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

Sorry to sound like a smart aleck but speed of an object falling has no relation with the weight of object. Galileo showed this by throwing 2 balls of different weights from the Leaning Tower of Pisa smiley-razz

That's OK, I was expecting a comment. smiley

I was thinking of Monty Python where they were talking about "what also floats on water?".

"Lead".

"Small rocks".

But you have to admit that foam blocks fall more slowly than elephants. smiley-wink

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

It's a fair cop.

One of the first things I saw on the internet way back in 1995 was that the most asked question was what does the Witch say in Monty Python, and the second most asked question was what does it mean!

Life is art is life.
View Profile

That is in a vacuum, wind resistance is a factor for one!
Wind resistance is dependent upon surface area. And surface area has nothing to do with weight. So if u throw 2 balls of same dimensions, but one of steel and one of wood(as Galileo did) from the same height, they reach the ground at same time even though the steel one is obviously a LOT heavier. And this will work even on Earth's atmosphere because the wind resistance will be same on both.

We are getting totally out of the scope of this thread. But i love it smiley-grin

But you have to admit that foam blocks fall more slowly than elephants. smiley-wink

Only one way to find out: by throwing a foam elephant and a real elephant from the leaning tower of pisa.  smiley-twist

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Make sure you film that. I want to see it. Although the cell structure of the foam could well influence air resistance.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Make sure you film that.
Especially the part about getting the elephant to the top. Watch where you step.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Dave Scott did the experiment on the Moon during the Apollo 15 mission, with a falcon's feather and a hammer (though where they found a spaceflight-certified feather is beyond me)

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Wind resistance is dependent upon surface area. And surface area has nothing to do with weight. So if u throw 2 balls of same dimensions, but one of steel and one of wood(as Galileo did) from the same height,

Yes but Galileo didn't,
While this story has been retold in popular accounts, there is no account by Galileo himself of such an experiment, and it is generally accepted by historians that it was at most a thought experiment which did not actually take place.
Quote from:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei#Falling_bodies

Also see:-
http://www.jimloy.com/physics/galileo.htm

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

Wind resistance is dependent upon surface area. And surface area has nothing to do with weight. So if u throw 2 balls of same dimensions, but one of steel and one of wood(as Galileo did) from the same height, they reach the ground at same time even though the steel one is obviously a LOT heavier. And this will work even on Earth's atmosphere because the wind resistance will be same on both.

Sorry for diving off-topic, but the bit in bold above is untrue. The point of the thought experiment is that it only works in a vacuum, because as soon as you introduce atmospheric drag the net acceleration is determined by both weight and aerodynamic drag.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Life is art is life.
View Profile

Make sure you film that.
Especially the part about getting the elephant to the top. Watch where you step.
There will be no difficulty taking it up. I'll take a baby elephant and wait for it to grow up.

Yes but Galileo didn't,
Yeah, guess he didnt. But we will! With elephants!

Sorry for diving off-topic, but the bit in bold above is untrue. The point of the thought experiment is that it only works in a vacuum, because as soon as you introduce atmospheric drag the net acceleration is determined by both weight and aerodynamic drag.
Don't apologize. We are ALL totally off topic here. smiley-grin

Go through this (Seems like someone already tried out our experiment!):
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/newtlaws/efff.cfm
and then this
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/newtlaws/efar.cfm

Subsequently, the amount of air resistance is dependent upon the speed of the falling object and the surface area of the falling object[\quote]
Quoted from the above 2nd link.

Guess you are right that this will not happen on earth. But acceleration is same for both balls(9.8m/s^2). It is not determined by weight or aerodynamic drag(best explanation: www.jimloy.com/physics/galileo.htm and links above). Instead, the heavier ball will accelerate for longer time, hence having more terminal velocity and striking ground first.

Scotland
View Profile

Iv just done it and yep elephants do actually fly, amazing!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: