Go Down

Topic: How do you power arduino with a 9V battery? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

yaantey

Can I use LM7805 voltage regulator with 9V battery to power arduino Uno board? Can someone point me to how I can connect it with frying up arduino board. 9V input into voltage regulator and 5V output from voltage regulator is the requirements. I need to use 9V because the little project I do require 9V, so someone let me know how I can do this? A simple circuit to connect it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

retrolefty

You simple wire the 9 volt battery to a power plug and insert it into the arduino's external power socket connector. There is already a 5vdc regulator on board to convert that voltage to what the board needs.

That being said, those small 9 vdc batteries are a very poor choice to power an arduino board because of their very high cost per mah capacity and their limited max current draw avalible. Building a battery pack from AA alkaline cells is a much better solution, or better yet a rechargeable battery pack of adequate capacity. And unless one really needs the portability of battery power an external wall wart DC power pack is better yet.

Lefty

Bajdi

Very simple, have a look at this -> http://www.bajdi.com/powering-arduino/battery-to-arduino/
www.bajdi.com

yaantey

@ Bajdi:

How do you connect the jack? What is the -ve and +ve terminal in the jack?

Thomas Hodnemyr

Case is ground and tip is positive lead.
2.1mm barrel plug, positive tip

yaantey

Attached is the photo of the plug. Is the marking correct?

AWOL

Jan 26, 2012, 01:27 pm Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012, 01:32 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
Is the marking correct?
Exactly wrong.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

yaantey

Then, shud it be the other way around? :S

AWOL

Then, shud it be the other way around?

There are normally only two different ways of wiring a plug like this; you described the wrong way.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

yaantey

@AWOL,

You are making it complicated. If what I marked is wrong, then the correct way should be the other way, isn't it?

AWOL

It's a binary, right/wrong choice.
What's complicated?

Cylindric

You are making it complicated. If what I marked is wrong, then the correct way should be the other way, isn't it?
Yes, that's why his answer was not overly complicated, it was exactly correct.  Incidentally, it's quite easy to see what part of the barrel is connected to which tag by using even a cheap'n'nasty multimeter.
Current Projects: Rodentometer - Hamster Endurance Moni

Go Up