Go Down

Topic: Arduino + MAX7456 OSD (Read 44269 times) previous topic - next topic

Jinju

So if  i understand this correctly, with the original code and so on, information could be send to the screen by putting it between "[  ]" and sending it via serial? e.g. If i were to setup everything (i.e. sparkfun breakout board and arduino) all i would need to do is to connect to the arduino via serial and start sending information to the screen i.e. "[hello world. This is a test]" ? How would you put up information from within a script? Those were the things i wasn't exactly clear on. Doing all the research before i buy one and i have no idea how to make it work. Considering making an OSD for FPV but the guy earlier seems to have given up the project. I would have loved to find out how he made it work.

kyndal

Jan 08, 2011, 06:56 pm Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 07:03 pm by kyndal Reason: 1
personally i just used the serial output sketch to test my
wiring.  keeping unknowns to a minimum..

if you take a look at the sketch included with the library by kg4wsv

its functions much like any lcd. you can write to it from
anywhere in the program with commands like

osd.write_to_screen("hello world. This is a test", 3,9);  
(3,9 start being location)

or values with    osd.print(SomeValue, DEC);

i havent played much with it myself. i just used it for a rather simple
timestamp overlay box.   that now works  and is put away ;)
i posted my RTC example sketch in my previous post.

might upgrade to using a GPS input for time. as im having issues
with my real time clock accuracy..

(currently have 6 of them running on a breadboard to pick the best crystal..  and this is at room temperature.  Sigh!. )

anyway

Hope that clears it up a bit!.
think of it as a serial attached LCD..

/Kyndal

Jinju

First off thanks for the response, it was a big help. I eventually went back to the beginning of the thread and began to understand it a bit more. Trying to make an OSD and just doing the research first. Planning on using a gps library and the one of this one to do an osd ..... seems workable so far just need to get the components. I wish i knew how they did the moving graphics thing (i.e. The heading indicator band) or could get some sample code for that.

zitron

Well, I kept working on my OSD, and here's a video: http://vimeo.com/12883185

My code is a bit of a mess right now, I'm not using kg4wsv's library, because I started the project before it was finished. I'm not sure how it can help anyone, I can put it up on line somewhere if you really want it.

I would suggest that you have a look at Remzibi OSD, which is probably the best out there in terms of documentation and free code and applications for drawing animated sprites and stuff. I stole some graphics from them for my OSD: http://www.happykillmore.com/Software/Faq.asp

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy