Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: how many devices can you connect to i2c?  (Read 1665 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm trying build a homemade weather station with my uno R3. most of the sensors i have comunicate via i2c. the problem i have is that the uno has 1 SCL and SDA line. how many devices can i conect to the UNO's SCL & SDA at the same time? if only one at a time is there another solution? can i change any of the other pins to SCL & SDA?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Theoretically, up to 128 - the limit of unique I2C addresses.
All I2C devices get connected in parallel, and a pair of 4.7K pullup resistors brings the SCL & SDA lines high.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
View Profile

The speed is limited by the "capacitance" (as in capacitor) of the line.
That is the total capacitance of all devices and all wires.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

IIRC there exists I2C multiplexers to increase the number of devices.

But be aware that the more devices you have the less times per second you can talk to them (all).

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I2C mux is only needed if you have devices with the same address - say 2 of the same simple sensor that does not support multiple addresses.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

I2C mux can be used to go beyond the 127 devices , and yes indeed it is done by reuse the same address space again and again and again (4 way mux in mind)

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

so then, should i have a delay in between the reading and communication with each sensor, or can all the sensors comunicate at the same time?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

You can only talk to 1 at a time.

View Profile

ok thanks for all your help. one last question please...will 5 millisec be enough delay? if not what should it be?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Read the datasheet for your parts - how much time does each need to do whatever conversion it is doing? Or, are they converting all the time and have a value ready to spit out as soon as requested?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: