Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for a bootloader for the 1284p at 16mhz, anyone know of one?  (Read 4711 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I found this thread: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,64612.0.html but the files it uses are no longer available.

Anyone know of any other way to do this?

Thanks.

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

What is going to be used for?

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

View Profile

I found this thread: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,64612.0.html but the files it uses are no longer available.

There lots of ways to use the ATmega644/ATmega1284, for hardware see:

For software there's a few active repositories where you can find bootloaders, code to use to make the board compatible with the Arduino IDE and also examples:

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

There lots of ways to use the ATmega644/ATmega1284, for hardware see:

For software there's a few active repositories where you can find bootloaders, code to use to make the board compatible with the Arduino IDE and also examples:

I think he is looking for software, not hardware.

There are several bootloaders that will work, provided your "sketch" is smaller than 64K. I know, not very helpful. You can have a look at www.chip45.com. He has free bootloaders for a whole bunch of AVR processors, including the 1284P. He even has different versions for each UART on the multi UART chips. Also free is a GUI app (Windows, mac and a text app for Linux) for uploading the file.

This bootloader is not compatible with AVRDUDE, so you'll have to use his programs for uploading.

This all said, I am having a small problem with  his bootloaders. On occasion, it will claim that the app was uploaded successfully, when in fact it was not. I don't know if this is a problem related to my hardware of a problem with his bootloader. His free bootloader does not verify the app that was just uploaded.

He is working on a commercial grade bootloader, but it won't be out for some time.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

That chip45 outfit seems to have some nice and unique hardware modules and the bootloader and windows GUI for uploading hex files looks pretty nice. I've downloaded the files and will maybe play with them in the future. Please keep us posted on your further experiences with their bootloader. Auto baudrate detection, proper WDT handling, among other features.

I already have a windows GUI front end program that drives AVRDUDE so don't have an immediate need, but their bootloader sure seems to be a swiss army knife for features and all the various chips they have pre-compiled for.

Lefty

View Profile

What is going to be used for?
I'm trying to upgrade from a 644p in a Sanguino-based device, a Sanguinololu for 3D printer control to increase my capacity.

And I must admit I'm a  total software novice.

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

I really should just sit down and fix the boot loader I modified. Actually, if I don't find one in the next few weeks, I won't have a choice.

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

It looks like
Will work at other CPU rates.
But I cannot test it.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Resistors for LEDS!

View Profile

The board is already setup for 16mhz unfortunately.

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

I fail to see why that would be an issue.

Resistors for LEDS!

View Profile

As I already said, I'm a total newbie, but I would presume that an 8mhz bootloader would not run on a 16mhz device.

Frankly there is no "bootloaders for dummies" info out there smiley

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

As I already said, I'm a total newbie, but I would presume that an 8mhz bootloader would not run on a 16mhz device.

Frankly there is no "bootloaders for dummies" info out there smiley

Someone who is a dummy is not going to be writing a bootloader that actually works.

View Profile

Someone who is a dummy is not going to be writing a bootloader that actually works.
Exactly why I'm here groveling for information and assistance  smiley-lol

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

The bootloader appears to use mathematical calculations for timing so the CPU frequency may not matter.

Resistors for LEDS!

Peoples Republic of Cantabrigia
God Member
Arduino happiness
View Profile

I have several custom boards with 1284Ps. The bootloader combination that worked best for me was the brewtroller software suite. Last time I checked, it wasn't yet up to Arduino 1.0 but you can download a customized version of the 0023 IDE that contains all the files to make these chips work.

You will, however, need the proper hardware to burn the bootloader. The Adafruit unit I have won't do the trick, the AVR MSKPII I bought later does.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: