Go Down

Topic: Highly Anticipated 32-bit "Due" due When? (Read 65 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

Yes but the Raspberry Pi is some what crippled from an I/O point of view. Of the 56 GPIO pins there are only 14 brought out to the header. There are a number of expansion boards in the pipe line but the "official one" in effect sticks an arduino on these pins and gives some port expansion. But this does not include I2C and will cost about £100, that is 4 times the price of the Pi itself.

On the main board there is no built in A/D and the drive on the 3V3 digital pins is some what minimal, so no driving LEDs at any great brightness without an expansion board.
It looks like it will be more of a programmers system than a physical computing platform.

My Pi's delivery has been put back from the middle of April to the start of May. I was lucky and managed to get an order in on the first day but about 12 hours after the start.

Graynomad

It looks like it will be more of a programmers system than a physical computing platform.

Looks like it. I just spent a couple of hours reading some of the RPi forum. Many of the comments are interesting, things like "Wow it's got I2C, I'll be able to talk to a sensor", "Can I connect the RS232 to USB?" and about 20 questions about if the IO is 5v or 3v3, and that's just on one thread!

It seems that the audience for this is coming from a different place to the average Arduino user.

expansion boards in the pipe line but the "official one"

Is that the Gert board or another?

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Grumpy_Mike

Is that the Gert board

Yes, Gert is the hardware guy for the entire project, and his board is his own sideline.
I asked if it was going to be open source, but he said as he had spent a lot of his own money on the project so far he hoped to recoup some of it from sales of the boards. Can't exactly blame him for that, but it would not be the way I would have done it. He also seems to be trying ( and failing at the moment ) to implement the debugWire in the 328 system. So you can tell he is not so very experienced if he thinks such a simple processor needs this.

Many of the comments are interesting

Agreed, the comments fall into a few narrow categories:-
1) Sycophantic - you are all doing such a wonderful job ( despite the evidence of such a botched launch )
2) The amazed innocents - wow only £100 for an interface board we have to pay £800 for a control board at my school.
3) The pissed off - you promised a computer at $25 and now I am expected to pay tax and carriage on top of that!
4) The Linux code nerds - I am porting "big bits 6.3" to the Pi  ( who knows or cares what that is )
5) The haven't got a clue about interfacing but this sounds like it should be an impressive question - what is the pitch of the header.

Graynomad

Mar 21, 2012, 03:27 am Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 09:00 am by Graynomad Reason: 1
Sycophantic /The amazed innocents

Them's the words I was looking for :)

Things like (I paraphrase)

"Gee I can't believe you brought the serial port out to a header, what a fantastic design"

And the endless discussions about the header pins being NC or DNC.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

HULK

Any news of when the Arduino DUE will be ready?
The first statements pointed at January 2012 but that has passed.

Go Up