Highly Anticipated 32-bit "Due" due When?

Far-seeker:
Well, if only they had some sort of blog to post the details they talked about, then people who weren't at the NYC Maker Faire would have a chance to learn about it as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno, I think it is still vapour-ware. To my way of thinking, an announced product would have specs, pictures, etc. on the company's website. And the companies with even more of a clue will mention the MSRP in the announcements, publish it to the electronics press, and work with distributors so that immediately after the announcement, you can pre-order it. Maybe on October 22nd, it will be a fully announced product, or maybe not. Even if it is announced, we will see what the initial availability is (hopefully better than Raspberry-pi, but who knows).

MichaelMeissner:
Maybe on October 22nd, it will be a fully announced product, or maybe not. Even if it is announced, we will see what the initial availability is (hopefully better than Raspberry-pi, but who knows).

Its already been announced. In fact the reason it isn't out for purchase right now is because they are preparing for a release and the ARM chip that it uses isn't very widely avaliable right now. They said that it WILL be out for purchase on the 22nd. I don't see how you can still think its vaporware.

funkyguy4000:

MichaelMeissner:
Maybe on October 22nd, it will be a fully announced product, or maybe not. Even if it is announced, we will see what the initial availability is (hopefully better than Raspberry-pi, but who knows).

Its already been announced. In fact the reason it isn't out for purchase right now is because they are preparing for a release and the ARM chip that it uses isn't very widely avaliable right now. They said that it WILL be out for purchase on the 22nd. I don't see how you can still think its vaporware.

Where is this so-called announcement on arduino.cc? Yes, it was evidently 'announced' at Maker Faire, but until they actually get around to listing in their hardware pages as an official product (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware), or at least having an entry on the main page that gives the specifications and pictures, it is still vapour-ware IMHO.

This is from another (non Arduino) forum

They talked about changes to the IDE that it will make it easier to add other compilers and platforms to the IDE but I'm not sure what they meant as they didn't go into much detail.
I assume they mean the IDE can be modified to support chipKIT, netduino or other arduino style modules but don't know for sure.
They also mentioned that a version of DUE would have internet embedded in the module with a future release chip. Again not much detail.
They had the designer of the Atmel AVR talk but I fast forwarded through that as it appeared to be an Atmel commercial rather than an Arduino update. That took about half the time.

That's about 500% more that we've heard here or from any official source.

Good to see that the Arduino PR machine is working at full steam.

So according to that there is not a new IDE, just an upgraded IDE. =(

EDIT: Youtube video of the talk posted here

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,113460.new.html#new

Rob

MichaelMeissner:
Where is this so-called announcement on arduino.cc? Yes, it was evidently 'announced' at Maker Faire, but until they actually get around to listing in their hardware pages as an official product (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware), or at least having an entry on the main page that gives the specifications and pictures~~, it is still vapour-ware IMHO~~.

Quoted for emphasis (although I don't personally consider it vapor-ware).

I only consider an announcement official if it's made to the general public through a direct company associated medium. Maker Faire is neither a general public announcement or a direct company associated medium.

Otherwise, I give it marginally better credibility, at best, than rumor.

Look, we need to accept that whatever they DO spend their time doing..

Listening to the average Arduino user or reading "Their" forum isn't it.

I'm not sure where it is but massimo did say in the video that they are going to be updating the website "next week" which is now sometime this week.
Although it was referring to "Arduino at heart", I wouldn't put it past them to wait to update the arduino.cc page for the due.

Massimo mentioned how people got the jump on them with Leonardo. I think they are going to get the Due released and update their hardware information at nearly the same time so that no one makes clones before the original is on the market.

cyclegadget:
Massimo mentioned how people got the jump on them with Leonardo. I think they are going to get the Due released and update their hardware information at nearly the same time so that no one makes clones before the original is on the market.

I completely understand and agree with these concerns. However, none of that prevents them from taking a couple of minutes to link to the World Maker Faire's YouTube video of the "Arduino Hour" on the official Arduino blog. :stuck_out_tongue:

terryking228:
Look, we need to accept that whatever they DO spend their time doing..

Listening to the average Arduino user or reading "Their" forum isn't it.

O so true.
I would add: Not even writing a blog entry ( on the release data of the due; without any technical specifications) for which they declined arduino community help stating they have a full time person assigned ]:smiley:

Best regards
Jantje

Yes they now have a full-time community guy, he introduced himself on the developer's mailing list a few months ago and we've not heard from him since.

I would have thought the Due release and the huge delay would have been a prime example of where such a person is required, to pour a little oil on the rough waters and at least keep us as informed as possible.

I realise and agree with the (perceived) reasons we've not had any technical details, but the total vacuum on the PR front I don't understand. I've now spend a few $100 on LPC stuff and although I may get a Due and port what I've been doing I may not as well. OK no big loss I guess :slight_smile: but how many people have wandered off to other platforms for the want of a few forum posts?

Rob

they now have a full-time community guy, he introduced himself on the developer's mailing list a few months ago and we've not heard from him since.

Michael Shiloh. Part time. As of early July. And I'd say he's been relatively active on the developer and teacher lists since then, mostly in the form of acknowledging suggestions on the developers list, and notably setting up the email list for Arduino "Issue" changes quite quickly after it was suggested.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,114395.0.html

Perhaps part-time isn't enough. OTOH, I'd suspect that the Due was under a "cone of silence", and "Community Manager" doesn't give him "new product announcement" privileges.

This post on Hack a Day has some more info about the Due:

Thanks for sharing! That post has a link to a pdf with the basic specifications for the Due.

October 22nd is the last release date announced at the World Maker Faire in New York (9/29-9/30). Price: $49. Just when I thought Arduino would miss another commitment, I read it's been released according to "wired.com". Can this be true? "Wired.com" is a respectable site. It doesn't make sense to hear it there rather than here.

It doesn't make sense to hear it there rather than here.

Yes it does, it is probbly an embargoed press release. The USA are still in bed at the moment. I am in the UK and I am still in bed. The wonders of retirement and an iPad. :slight_smile:

Several sites have been announcing "It's released" before the actual release. Sloppy reporting, if you ask me, but I hope it means that the Due is really going to show up...

Adafruit says "it's not a coming soon product" (for them), which I find a bit troubling. But then, they are all Rasberry Pi "traitors" lately, so perhaps they've fallen off the "preferred provider" list.

Here is the sparse but "official" announcement: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoDUE

Is that link new today ?

Duane B

Well it's been the 22nd for 18 hours now...bugger I'm Australia, sometimes it's good to be ahead of the west, sometimes not :slight_smile:

Rob