Go Down

Topic: Has anyone permanently mounted an LCD Keypad Shield v2.0? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

I have a few spares I can mail you at fair price. Shipping air mail is not expensive. As you noticed I sell stuff (mainly on inmojo.com). I shipped many times to Australia. What I have are buttons and black and red caps. Let me know.

bperrybap

Geoff,
Take a look at Tayda. You can get new switches with tall (up to 9.5mm) buttons for $0.04 USD.
It may be easier/cheaper to replace the actual switches.
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad.html

They ship to Australia.

I've ordered from Tayda several times. They are great for small orders.
I've ordered shift registers, LEDs, caps, resistors, temp ICs, I2c clock chips, resonators, crystals, etc....

Their prices are great for what they have and their shipping is really inexpensive as well.
Takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks for delivery, with most of my orders getting
here to the USA in about 10-12 days. 1 order came in less than 1 week.

--- bill

strykeroz

Thanks Bill

I actually ordered some tall buttons from little bird electronics to do just this.  Tayda are great, but to get them for the weekend I needed to buy locally. 

This sure has been a learning experience.  When getting one of these shields next time I'll know there's some customisation needed to use them in a permanent situation.

Cheers, Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

liudr

Thanks Bill

I actually ordered some tall buttons from little bird electronics to do just this.  Tayda are great, but to get them for the weekend I needed to buy locally. 

This sure has been a learning experience.  When getting one of these shields next time I'll know there's some customisation needed to use them in a permanent situation.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoff, good to hear you found a solution. Just get some soldering braid ready to take the original buttons off the board. I remember that Si once compared two LCD shields (unfortunately neither is mine). The higher end shield is well made for mounting. The LCD is recessed. You probably just have to cover the shield with a face plate.

bwims

Can I bump this please?  I never heard how it turned out, and I don't think the measurements are correct for a Sainsmart.

I've measured the distance from the pcb under the switch to the top of the LCD and I think a 13mm switch is needed, like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pcs-6-x-6mm-x-13mm-PCB-Momentary-Tactile-Tact-Push-Button-Switch-4-Pin-DIP-/290822346269?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item43b65cd61d

I took the preceding to mean that the original buttons would need to be desoldered and replaced.  Have I got that right?

Thanks

Brian Williams

Go Up