Go Down

Topic: Getting the Accelerometer (ADXL345) to work (Read 749 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello (Arduino's) World!
First of all, let me briefly introduce myself - I am a veterinarian and researcher, passionate about photography, music and electronics.
Now, to my project: I need to build a system that measures the inclination of an object and sends the data wirelessly to the arduino. This, in turn, should actuate a servo whenever the inclination angle exceeds a given value.

Being a complete newbie to this world I am moving on step by step. What I am up to right now (and stuck there  :0) is trying to make Arduino read values from the ADXL345 accelerometer. I know there's plenty of examples and pre-build sketches around, but I've tried many and none of them seems to work. So I guess I am missing some important point and this is why I am here to ask for advice.

What I did so far is:

1) Setting up the arduino, following the official quickstart guide (including uploading the example sketch in the Arduino software) - everything seems to work as expected
2) Connecting the ADXL345 as explained here: http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/240
3) Uploading the sketch reported in the same site.

According to the explanation I should get measures of the sensor inclination in the three axis, but what I get on the Serial Monitor is just a bunch of zeroes, and, of course, nothing changes when I tilt the sensor.
Is there anything else I was supposed to do before being able to read values from the accelerometer (e.g. should I have uploaded a library onto the arduino)?
Any hint would be appreciated!
Paolo

johnwasser

The software appears to be working so I would guess a hardware error.  Check for bad connections.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

The ADXL345 that I have doesn't "start" automatically, I have to sent a command to it before it starts sending data. I don't use the SPI bus like the sparkfun example but the I2C bus with the following library http://code.google.com/p/adxl345driver/ I did have some trouble to get it working, you can read about it on my blog.
www.bajdi.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy