Go Down

Topic: FORTH environment for Arduino (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

cyberteque

"FORTH never really caught on"!?!?

I guess Adobe NEVER gives any credit to Forth and they should because Postscript IS Forth!
If you ever had an HP programmable calculator, getting into Forth was easy.

Some of my favourite applications are written in Forth, Voyager 1 & 2, the desktop planetarium programme I have running on my Mac (plus!) is a conspicuous example.

MLeBlanc

Some of my favourite applications are written in Forth, Voyager 1 & 2, the desktop planetarium programme I have running on my Mac (plus!) is a conspicuous example.

I played with Forth on a Sinclair ZX81, back in the day. I recall reading somewhere that Forth was popular with astronomers who used it to control large telescopes. I suppose that enthusiasm has migrated to astronomy software today.

As an artist and not a mathematician, I always thought the phrase 'reverse polish notation' was pretty cool.

cyberteque

Lot's of observatories use Forth.
The Arecibo radio telescope and the VLA radio telescope in New Mexico, this is not surprising, Charles Moore worked at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO), he was a freelance programmer working mainly on control and data acquisition, which is where Forth really shines.
The contempt that C programmers show Forth (and just about any other language) is amazing!

retrolefty

The contempt that C programmers show Forth (and just about any other language) is amazing!

Not me. I have equal contempt for all software languages. Solder is the best programming language.  ;)

Lefty

halabut

That's pretty impressive... I wonder if you could fit a PHP implementation into an Arduino, that'd take an Arduino webserver to a whole new level.

-- Alec

Go Up