Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using an oscilloscope  (Read 1218 times)
Chile
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Dear community,
Christmas was the opportunity to give myself a present in the form of a Rigol DS1052 oscilloscope   smiley
Now i'm starting to enjoy it in my Arduino proyects, and learning a little about signal processing.

Now the real question:
I've noticed that the device is picking some noise from the power lines, mainly when the fridge starts or my wife uses the hair dryer. i notice something like a flash on the screen. So I'm thinking of using a line stabilizer, like the ones you use to protect your computer around here.
Is this a good idea or will this devices get more noise into the scope?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Dear community,
Christmas was the opportunity to give myself a present in the form of a Rigol DS1052 oscilloscope   smiley
Now i'm starting to enjoy it in my Arduino proyects, and learning a little about signal processing.

Now the real question:
I've noticed that the device is picking some noise from the power lines, mainly when the fridge starts or my wife uses the hair dryer. i notice something like a flash on the screen. So I'm thinking of using a line stabilizer, like the ones you use to protect your computer around here.
Is this a good idea or will this devices get more noise into the scope?

It might actually be better to plug it into a UPS - but it couldn't hurt to try a line conditioner/stabilizer first.

Something I do want to caution you about, though (if you are new to using an oscilloscope): Don't try to measure AC line voltage with your scope until you know -exactly- what you're doing; doing so incorrectly can end up with a dead scope at best, electrocution at worst.

A good set of tutorials on scope usage can be found here:

http://www.tek.com/learning/oscilloscope-tutorial

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Digital Power Engineer
View Profile

It's very usual for a scope to pick up EMI. To avoid that, enable the bandwidth limit if full bandwidth is not needed, minimize the loop area, and use a properly terminated coax cable instead of probes for sensitive measurements.

"Optiboot: the Tiffany Yep of Arduino bootloaders."

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

"remember to connect the grounds"
you did have the earth connection of the probe connected to your signal ground??

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Chile
View Profile

Thanks guys.

The Bandwith limitation improved things a lot in terms of noise. Looks like I was picking a lot of noise in the FM radio band (having a military installation 100m away with a huge antenna doesn't help).

use a properly terminated coax cable instead of probes for sensitive measurements.
What is a properly terminated coax cable?

I'm avoiding meassures in the high voltage area, I love my life and scope too much to do this kinds of experiments with my knowledge level  smiley-mr-green

Now I'll try a line stabilizer to avoid the flicker in the oscilloscope screen that happens now and then and see what happens.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

This reminded me of a couple of entertaining (to me anyway) episodes from EEVblog.

Link to part 2 at the end of the vid.

Oh, when it sounds as if he's saying "LC Ten", he's actually saying "LC Tank", i.e. a tank circuit. And when he speaks of a 'crow' probe, that's actually C-R-O, i.e. 'cathode-ray oscilloscope' (I know, most of you know that already).

There's part 3 as well.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Chile
View Profile

Interesting videos.

Searching more on the web I found that the screen flicker that bothers me is a known glitch in these Rigol scopes  smiley-confuse
So, I'll have to live with it and wait for a firmware update or another kind of fix.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:33:14 am by pgmartin » Logged

Edison Member
View Profile

If you set it up and just touch the probe you can see all the ac mains radiation your body is absorbing, kinda cool actually,
cool thing is the waveform gets affected differently for everybody and in different conditions,
creepy part is atleast for me in my house, I can actually light an led dimly by simply touching one terminal with the other to ground ,

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

You want unusual scope display? Check this out:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.southhollandtrading.com/images/ScopeClockGPSBox-6.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.southhollandtrading.com/ScopeClockGPSBox.htm&h=1049&w=1411&sz=549&tbnid=6EIUA_I7t2u4EM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=133&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dscope%2Bclock%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=scope+clock&docid=gclmtmESrG8rAM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=v0QaT9WAL4ebiAKAzNy_CA&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBA&dur=16

Lefty

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

meh I did (a half assed) pong on mine using a digipot and a duino

now there is some good use out of quality test equipment
 smiley-razz

back to the thread, I agree make sure everything is grounded properly, without it even my old 20Mhz beater picks up all sorts of fun noise
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:30:24 am by Osgeld » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

meh I did (a half assed) pong on mine using a digipot and a duino

now there is some good use out of quality test equipment
 smiley-razz

back to the thread, I agree make sure everything is grounded properly, without it even my old 20Mhz beater picks up all sorts of fun noise

There's always Youscope:

Here's another - Oscillofun (by Atom Delta):

Note that the video of Oscillofun isn't being shown on an actual scope, but if you download the flac of the song (view on youtube, and there should be a link to download it), then play it, feeding the left/right channels into the x/y of the scope, you'll get the display shown (or at least, that's what it says - there are youtube videos of people who have done that, too).

smiley-grin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:45:04 am by cr0sh » Logged

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: