Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Apocalypse Proof/Resistant Personal And Scientific Computer  (Read 2426 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, like I said above, there's the option of powering your Gameboy with solar power.

I don't believe in solar power because of the experience we had with them.  My parents would buy solar powered lights and put them in the back yard.  They would work with a season and stop working because the sun and the elements destroyed them through heat.  The point is, you put solar power into the sunlight to charge things and it takes time to charge batteries so if you don't want them to get hot then don't charge them in the sun.  Even if they last, you will have a degregation of power.  Batteries need to be replaced every three to five years so basically you have a system that would wear out.  Your best bet would be to invest in steam engines to pull a pulley and operate a generator so long as you had a source of wood or coal.

Arstechnica.com had a good forum post against solar power and I might have it in old email once I restore my email but basically solar panels can start growing algae and collecting living organisms once it rains and it isn't too much different than a rock with a lot of growing plants on them..  So there is a degregation of the materials.  Even my central air unit starts to rust once they are put outside.

Faraday Member
20 LEDs are enough
View Profile

If you want really apocalypse proof you might want one of those http://www.abacus.ca/abacus-images.php. If you need higher math maybe also one of those http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule. Anything else will never last even close as long.

Check out my experiments http://blog.blinkenlight.net

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

solar powered lights
Usually cheap crap from a hardware stores, they never do last.

I've been living off solar for 11 years and haven't seen a spec of mould yet. I built an entire motorhome (well 98% of it), welding, power tools the lot using just solar.

it takes time to charge batteries so if you don't want them to get hot then don't charge them in the sun.
Eh? You don't put the batteries in the sun, just the panels.

Batteries need to be replaced every three to five years
That's the conventional wisdom but I have friends still on their first set after 12 years.

Solar isn't perfect and we have a backup generator, but it does work and should do for 20 years or more.

_____
Rob
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:41:48 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

solar powered lights
Usually cheap crap from a hardware stores, they never do last.

Nobody else sells it unless it is expensive and the units from department stores don't last.  Even some of the kits being sold online are fragile because the glass plates are thin and can crack.

I have sandbags that come with a UV rating and the manufacturer says the sun will destroy them which it has done.

If it was viable, more people would be using Solar but there are problems with it which is why most people don't get / use it unless they are subsidized by an electric company in California where they get the most sun and it still is very expensive to outfit a house.  It is not viable when you can spend $40,000 to $80,000 a house and to know that you might get degraded power after 85% of the life of the unit.

My school got it and they were still relying off the power grid.

Missouri, USA
View Profile

Continuing with power, you can mod your gameboy however you like. As long as you have a functional gameboy, ARPASC should run the same.

You make your own batter with chemicals. Here's a water battery that get's pretty small: http://www.instructables.com/id/Water-Powered-Calculator/
Although at that size, it might not be able to drive your gameboy properly.

Here's a beer battery or a "microbial fuel cell": http://lifehacker.com/307756/how-to-make-a-beer-battery
Unless something freak happens and there are no microbes around (a situation we'll probably die in too) you can bet there'll be plenty of microbes on earth for however long we hang around.

You can also recharge your batteries with an electric generator. You can turn it yourself, or you can have some sort of engine run it. You could hook up a generator to a water wheel or a windmill. Windmill might not be the best, lol.

Anyways, there's plenty of ways we can hack life for our daily fix of electricity.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Yeah none of the alternative power options can be relied on 100%, hence my need for a generator and your school's need for the grid.

It's dubious economics to install solar on a house in town that has power available, you would never get your money back I'm sure, even with today's cheaper prices for the panels.

In the context of this thread I would have solar because it's quiet and mechanically reliable plus a donkey/external combustion/steam engine to pick up the slack.

_____
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Emergency preparedness is good. Apocalypse preparedness is simply large companies want your money for their stuff in quantities and hope they all expire so you buy them again. Anyway, I hope the apocalypse starts sometime after MS releases their win8 and PC tablets have win8 preinstalled (win7 on tablets sucks). You will have a more powerful machine and install arduino IDE on it. Power is really not the issue here since tablets only consume 10W range of power. If you have food, you can generate that electrical power. If not, abandon computers and search for food first.

You don't need solar panels to harvest solar energy. Burn stuff up and boil water to push turbines. You can also generate electricity with temperature differentials. Maybe paint a drum black and expose it in the sun. Then keep another drum out of sun. Fill both with water. Have the right parts though:

http://sensorymetrics.com/2009/04/20/electricity-from-hot-water/

It's same as any other engines except you may use the sun to heat up water instead of burning fuel. Of course the efficiency is lower than solar panels but may need less maintenance and is sturdier.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: