Go Down

Topic: Clock/temperature display for my Father (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

pocketscience

I'll add an eeprom for logging the temp now

You know there's EEPROM onboard the 168/328 chips right? That's what I used as I'm not logging historical data, just a few bytes for the min and max values.

I've just remembered, it can tick as well. I put a relay in it which flips every second.  There's a switch to turn it off though, it's a bit annoying.

Oh I loove that!! I'll add a relay to my nixie version - on the hour I'm planning the flip through all the digits to avoid cathode poisoning, and if I whack the relay at the same time it'll feel like the flight boards at the airports flipping over! :-)

The back on my unit above is visible through perspex as well - I tried to be nice and neat with the point to point soldering. Will post a pic of that plus my schematic later (it's at home).

Cheers,
Is life really that serious...??!

CowJam

You might want a relay per digit as they're relatively slow. I initially had the digits change in a cascade style and wanted to click the change but found the relay wasn't up to it.

I'd entirely forgotten about the onboard eeprom! Ta for the reminder.
Ta for mentioning cathode poisoning too, I hadn't heard of that and Iv'e just got myself a set of nixies.

pocketscience

Thanks for the tip.

Back of device shown:

Schematic:

Cheers,

convoluted

Thanks for the schematic and pictures. Would you mind posting your source code as well? If you'd prefer to keep it closed-source that's totally understandable. Keep up the good work!

pocketscience

Hi, got no problem posting the code - there's not a lot of rocket science going on! I will remove the bits with personal date-based messages though. Shan't be long...

G.

Go Up