Go Down

Topic: Cyclocomputer with LilyPad Arduino (Read 2873 times) previous topic - next topic

I made a cyclocomputer to track bicycle speed/distance, using the LilyPad Arduino. More photos, a video, and code. It stores a histogram of speed values which I can offload over serial (for example, to graph in R); and has two trip meters which can be reported in Morse while riding.

Pauly

Neat idea.  I like this, but what about it getting wet?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how it would fare in the rain; presumably it would short. The LilyPad folks say they wash their e-textile projects, but that's when they're off and the battery is out. I could conccivably make a plastic sleeve that would fit over it, though I think really the answer is to not use this model in the rain. (I did ride with it on wet streets without a problem, but the wheels weren't kicking up much water.)

karlboll

Jan 22, 2011, 12:42 am Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 12:43 am by karlboll Reason: 1
I have a question:
On your website you mention taking the ringer from an old cordless phone. Would this make it a dead ringer ?  :D

Also: great project, luv the arty look.
First we ignore them, then we make fun of them, then we fight them and then they win so let's cut the crap and just expose them for the corrupt liars they are.

Hah!

Although this project didn't capitalize on the sew-into-clothing aspect of the LilyPad, I am pleased by the look, and I'm better versed in constructing something to attach to a bike out of cloth than (say) perfboard. Thanks!

george_graves

I never understood the lillypad - but I really like your craftsmanship!

retrolefty

Jan 22, 2011, 02:56 am Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 02:56 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
I never understood the lillypad -

Me either. I think it's a artist thing, thinking outside the box kind of product.  ;)

but I really like your craftsmanship!

Thanks!

I never understood the lillypad

I don't think this is the greatest use of it, but things like Leah Buechley's turn-signal jacket do seem to benefit from sewable components (including the main board). I'm still trying to come up with a properly e-textile oriented project; my current thought is a fuel guage for the water reservoir in my backpacking pack.

Go Up