Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Author Topic: POST YOUR WORKBENCH  (Read 5671 times)
Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This is my coding bench. A permanent fixture but not allowed to get too unsightly since its in a living area (small house - its all living area)

In the mirror above the bench is a glimpse of my hardware construction area :

This is nomadic, its used as an eating area and park for my wifes laptop among many other uses.  It looks a lot less pristine when my wifes away and I'm in the middle of a project.  The stuff gets put away in the cupboard at the right when the wife is around. The carpet is often full of those little bits of wire and solder blobs........
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:20:01 am by stephen_t » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

and solder blobs........
I could not get away with that!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

My bench is a bit more tidy after the enforced tidy up after the Maker Fair.

B0100111001000011, USA
Edison Member
I'm confused.  Wait, maybe not..
View Profile

What's that scary orange thing in the second picture? :O

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Mike, you can free some valuable desk space if you replace your CRT monitor with an LCD one smiley
I know that from my own experience smiley

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

What's that scary orange thing in the second picture

It's the best thing I ever bought.  smiley

It is a large spring clamp that holds your PCBs and circuit boards when you solder them. I bought it many years ago from a guy at a ham radio show. He had designed them and was manufacturing them. However he soon disappeared and I lost his contact number, I would have bought a whole lab full for my students. When ever I am forced to work without one I miss it. I would also have got every place I ever worked at to get one as well.

replace your CRT monitor with an LCD on
True but I am trying to be environmentally friendly and not throwing it out because it still works.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

True but I am trying to be environmentally friendly and not throwing it out because it still works.

yea, when I replaced mine I almost tossed it in the dumpster, it still worked (but fuzzy) but I took it to the thrift store, where they laughed at me so when they went back inside I tossed it in their dumpster

got my little 15 inch lcd for 25 bucks off of ebay, its ugly, has holes drilled in the base and over all a POS, but its fine for the workbench

that clamp thing seems interesting, maybe we will bug you to demonstrate it one day
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:36:47 am by Osgeld » Logged

B0100111001000011, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

It is a large spring clamp that holds your PCBs and circuit boards when you solder them.

I thought it looked a little like some sort of hobby vise.  Cool!

got my little 15 inch lcd for 25 bucks off of ebay

;D.  I just sold my broken 19" lcd on ebay for 25 bucks smiley-razz.  I tried fixing it, but it didn't work (replaced some vented caps, still no go).  Ah well, my desk only has one monitor now..

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I just sold my broken 19" lcd on ebay for 25 bucks. I tried fixing it, but it didn't work (replaced some vented caps, still no go).  Ah well, my desk only has one monitor now..
Hehe, me has 3 smiley

17" main LCD, 17" CRT to the left (I keep it cos it's a good one at 1600x1200 and great contrast) and my most recent addition being a 15" touch screen for on my desk for £30 smiley
I'm just in the process of finishing off a box that I laser cut for the touch screen.
I also have a 7" (extended cable) portable DVD player screen on the right of that, for watching films while working (the DVD player is under the desk with a 2m cut scart cable connecting the two) smiley

I have recently being designing a new desk. It's probably going to be about ~1.5x2m and in the middle of the room so I can get all round it. I have a friendly company that I might be able to get two offcut pieces of lab grade SGL for it  smiley
I am thinking of integrating the touch screen onto an arm (it's a bare monitor atm) becuase I think the touch screen could be useful for not having a keyboard or mouse when doing some electronics stuff.

I'll post up some pictures of my current desk (once I take some!) and a couple of my new desk design once I get on Solidworks and design it.

Mowcius
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:29:51 pm by mowcius » Logged

B0100111001000011, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Dang Rob, sounds like you've got the ultimate hacking space!

I'd love to see some pictures when you get 'em!

MD, USA
God Member
A jack of all trades and a master of none!
View Profile

The desk i have is the one pictured here.

Difference being it has black supports, wood grained boards and no PC tower stand on the side.

Overall i loved the desk but was looking to get some more leg room under the desk and a larger work area. The biggest problem was the lack of space on that keyboard tray. There wasn't enough room to fit bother the keyboard and a mouse. So i got a sheet of 3/4" plywood and expanded the width of the desk by about 8" and the depth by almost a foot. It was amazing the difference that 8" made. I also made the keyboard tray deeper so the keyboard and mouse can be pushed to the back and i have more space to work with. I'll have pictures posted later. The site they where on has vanished.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Dang Rob, sounds like you've got the ultimate hacking space!

I'd love to see some pictures when you get 'em!
Well at the moment it seems that it's in no way big enough (why I need the new desk), and it's always covered in stuff.
I am going to have a nice clear up later this week and I will try to get some pictures then.

Mowcius

Bristol, UK
Edison Member
Exhibitor at UK Maker Faire
View Profile

I have a total of four 19-inch CRT monitors in the workshop, all acquired from FreeCycle! Then there's the green screen monitor in the Stag PPZ EPROM programmer, a 6-inch mono TV that I got from a car boot sale, an HP logic analyser (1630G) with a CRT, and a number of CRT scopes. Plus, whatever CRT I have currently got wired up to the Compukit UK101. Unfortunately my Philips CM8833 colour monitor failed at the Maker Faire in Newcastle -- the line output transformer has developed a short that shuts down the switch-mode power supply.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

FreeCycle
I have a load of stuff off freecycle including my printer, old scanner, walking GPS, keyboard and mouse etc.

It's great smiley

Mowcius

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

A few things I learned cleaning up my shop for future electronic work:

1. Clutter sucks.
2. Clear plastic boxes in various sizes are a big help; standardize on all, buy as many as possible, even if you don't use them all (because the styling will change next year, and they won't fit together the same).
3. Do the same with parts cabinets.
4. Buy quality steel shelving (if it costs less than $50.00 US each, don't buy it).
5. For wall shelving, use dual-hole track shelving and standards. Space the tracks < 18 inches apart (if using MDF shelving) - can go wider if using 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood  (and attach securely to wall studs ONLY).
6. Organize, organize, organize.
7. Keep it organized.
8. Pegboard - lots of pegboard.

I am trying to follow the old maxim of "Keep your shop, and your shop will keep you"; I am almost finished with my cleanup, it has turned out well. I am still trying to find the "perfect" multi-drawer cabinets to expand my storage for hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, etc) and electronic components. I have a few large ones (40+ drawers), but I need more.

My work area also looks bare without an oscilloscope and power supply; I need to fix this, too (plenty of multi-meters, though; I must've found 3-4 of them while cleaning things up).

One of my first jobs once I get things finished will be a teardown of multiple Polaroid cameras I have collected (for their ultrasonic systems, as well as other components), as well as several weird cheapo R/C cars that each have four omni-wheels (among other good stuff, I am imagining). Once that is complete, I will have even more shelf room left over. I also need to build a PC for the shop (plenty of parts for that, too).

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: