My reverse geocache with nixie tubes

Stupid terrorists are ruining all the fun.

BTW: Are you already a suspicious person in the US if you like to tinker with electronics in your spare time?

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/brainiac/2007/02/boston_bomb_squ.html

This is what the Boston reference was to, also the Aqua Teen thing the month before, just google Boston Bomb Squad

BTW: Are you already a suspicious person in the US if you like to tinker with electronics in your spare time?

No, of course not. Only if suspected of something illegal from other evidence would your personal interests, knowledge, and capabilities come into play during further investigation, trying to connect the dots so to speak. I wonder if shoe repair persons could flag interest these days. :wink:

You can get on "High risk" lists, I know I'm probably on one, I know that everytime I travel I am "randomly selected", even though I'm white, born and raised here... and as far back as I know my family is full blood American (as far back as I know is to my great great great I don't know how many greats grandfather Sam Houston (As in Texas)

Why I gave all that unneeded information, I don't know :confused:

Anyway, cool project

Cool...! How does that "latch relay" business work for the on/off switch? I'd like to use that for some of my projects.

Mikal

PS I used to live in the hometown of Sam Houston (Huntsville).

This thing is awesom! You must be an artist to most of us to pull off the look. I love the spaghetti monster perfboard! No one will figure out what is doing what with all same color wires. So who is this for?

How does that "latch relay" business work for the on/off switch?

Here is a simple drawing of a manual-on, auto turn-off power switch I build using a single coil +5vdc relay I found available on e-bay. You press the switch to turn on power and the first instructions in the processor is to turn the output pin high to latch the power on. When the program wants to power off, it just takes the output pin low.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/563/08miq7.jpg

Lefty

How does that "latch relay" business work for the on/off switch?

I used the Panasonic TQ2SA-L2-5V. You can switch it on and off with 5V.When you press the pushbutton the battery current switches it to on. The button press is also routed to an arduino pin, so I can use the pushbutton as an input (secret combination of timed presses to open the box). The relay's coil for switching it off is attached to an arduino output pin, so the arduino can switch it's own power off by putting that pin on high. It's pretty simple to build, I just added two diodes to the relay. I made some drawings on paper, but I think they aren't readable to anyone but me :slight_smile:

If you want something like this you could also buy the plololu switch. That does the same with solid state components but doesn't allow the pushbutton to be routed to the arduino (Pololu Pushbutton Power Switch SV (old version)).

So who is this for?

A work buddy of mine who is really into geocaching is turning 30 in two weeks. He'll get the box with his present inside.

The plan is, that he'll pass it on to another friend once he opened and reprogrammed it.

Every owner can log his experiences with the box on geocaching.com by using a geocode that is spray painted on the box (If you ever did geocaching: It's treated like a travebug - The groundspreak rules aren't allowing moving caches).

The url for tracking the box is: (TB3W7NC) TrackMe Geocoin - Rick's reverse geocache

That paintjob is awesome!!!

@Lefty,

My worry for a design like yours is that there is a significant lag between when power is applied and the first user instructions are executed. Especially when you're using a bootloader, isn't this interval something like 2 seconds? Doesn't that mean that the user has to push the button a long time before the processor can latch it?

@RickP,

So the basic principal of operation of your circuit is similar to that of the Pololu switch? Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Mikal

Especially when you're using a bootloader, isn't this interval something like 2 seconds? Doesn't that mean that the user has to push the button a long time before the processor can latch it?

Yes, it would be dependent on the specific bootloader used as to how long the bootloader decides to time out and jump to start the preloaded sketch. I've been using the modified Adafruit bootloader for quite awhile sense one benefit is that there is almost no delay at all for the sketch to start on initial power-up. That bootloader also handles WDT interrupts better. Not sure what the delay is on for the new Uno bootloader. Slow to start bootloaders with long startup delays are so 2009. :wink:

Lefty

Thanks, Lefty. Any idea how long that time delta is on the Uno? If it's just a couple of hundred milliseconds, it's probably reasonable. Thanks!

Mikal

great job! i am totally digging the design.

when you said that it was trackable on geocaching.com, i thought you were saying that it was when the gps received a signal it send an update to geocaching about where the trackable was located. Is this even possible?

great job! i am totally digging the design.

when you said that it was trackable on geocaching.com, i thought you were saying that it was when the gps received a signal it send an update to geocaching about where the trackable was located. Is this even possible?

Yes, that's possible and I thought about it. It would need a gprs module like this: http://www.cooking-hacks.com/index.php/shop/arduino/arduino-gprs-module.html

With that one could set up a special server and the box would send it's id and position to this server every time it get's a fix. Then this server could post a log entry to geocaching.com - That could also happen via some kind of sms-gateway because it's easier to send an sms than to make a data connection.

The downside is that you need some kind of pre-paid sim card.

Are you already a suspicious person in the US if you like to tinker with electronics in your spare time?

I was on the phone to my mate the other day and I was telling him about the GPRS shield I'd picked up and he said "Man that'd be great for remotely detonating a bomb!" Hello echelon!

I will be darned to see terrorists use arduino-contrlled bombs on the news one day.Maybe someone's code will even be used against their good intention.

Very cool project... inspired me to get started on a nixie clock a few days ago. I gotta tell ya', making these things from scratch is a real challenge... After scouring over online schematics I just ordered a ton of MOSFETS, schottkys, inductors, HV caps, 25 MPSA42s, etc. from digikey only to realize that to multiplex tubes I also need HV PNP transistors. :o
I'm also using way too many transistors, right now with my current schematic for only four tubes I'm at all 25 MPSA42s, 4 MPSA92s (anode switching), 14 general purpose switching transistors, and total of 13 IC pins just to switch the tubes (not including the pins of the ATTiny45 controlling the high voltage PSU).

Kudos to you for making a very clean, non-parts-intensive build (albeit with the help of some control ICs :P).

Well, from a fellow Geocacher (Yes, this is also my GC handle) I think it's cool! I can see something like this, if the actual cache was located on the grounds of an old Nike missile site. (yet another one of my many odd hobbies).. Yes, the terrorist have put a major dent in the hobby, but it still has its fun times.. How long does the whole thing run for, seeing only a 6V supply (or is that 4.8, Rechargable?) being boosted to 180V for the nixie tubes, must be brutal on batteries!

@gelfling6-
I think you'll find there are plenty of geocachers on this forum, in fact GPS is one thing that helped me to get in to arduino...
Also, a nixie tube only requires about 2mA at 170V. Assuming that he's only firing one tube at a time, that's just 340mW. Even if his driver is awfully inefficient, the draw is still probably under half a watt. Nixie tubes are actually surprisingly efficient IMO, considering the amount of light they put out.

I will be darned to see terrorists use arduino-contrlled bombs on the news one day.Maybe someone's code will even be used against their good intention.

Well they better be selective on whos code from this forum they copy. If they use any of mine, there will most likely be a few less terrorists to worry about. ;D

Lefty