Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: WiFi Scannetwork intermittant  (Read 534 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My Official WiFi shield is a bit disappointing -- or maybe I'm screwing-up.  I have the scannetwork example in the WiFi library running and it reports a MAC address for the Arduino WiFi but doesn't find any of the available wifi signals except my house router (about 2 ft from the Arduino WiFi) and even that is detected only rarely and entirelu randomly (every approx 10  of the 10 sec search cycles in the scannetwork sketch).  How do I tell if this is a hardware problem or something else?   

Thanks for any ideas ....

David

View Profile

more ...

it looks like I am not connecting reliably.  If I run the example WiFi library sketch "scanNetwork"  I get, on the serial monitor, the stuff below.  It connected once in 10 tries.   Any ideas of what I should try? 

Initializing Wifi...
MAC: 7A:C4:E:1C:AE:31
Scanning available networks...
** Scan Networks **
number of available networks:0
** Scan Networks **
number of available networks:1
0) 05B408909992   Signal: -54 dBm   Encryption: 5
** Scan Networks **
** Scan Networks **

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Less than 1 meter away and a -54 DBM receive level?  does this device have antenna on it that is working?.

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

View Profile

Bob,  Thanks for the thought.   I assume it has a built in antenna -- it's the official Arduino WiFi shield and there is no obvious place for a connector and no discussion of one either.   -52dBm seemed low to me too.   Maybe I have a faulty WiFi board?   My laptop shows a strong signal so it's not the router signal that is the problem.

View Profile

My Official WiFi shield is less than 1 ft from my router (ie very close) and  the network  rarely, but occasionally, is seen by the continuous scan of the networks via the scannetworks sketch that is one of the examples in the WiFi library.  On the rare occasions (the scans take 10 sec each) that a signal is detected it is about -50 dBm.    This seems low -- and as suggested above, could point to a hardware issue to account for the  flaky detection.   

Any experience with signal strength and unreliability would be helpful.  What is a typical signal strength?

Here is what I get (when I get anything):  number of available networks:1
0) 05B408909992   Signal: -59 dBm   Encryption: 5

Any suggestions would be greatly valued as I am stumped and now believe it is a hardware issue and don't want to hassle the vendor with a return if it is something I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

David

View Profile

What are you using to power the Arduino and Wifi Shield at the moment?

I had similar problem - shield 1m from wifi router and the connection keeps dropping but that was only when I was powering it through the USB cable.  There are many other USB devices connected to my pc and it seemed that the arduino was not recieving enough power.  As soon as I connected 9v adaptor to the Arduino the Wifi Shield behaved normally.   smiley

View Profile

LooseCannon,

Thanks for the idea but I was powering the Arduino through the 12 V plug so power is probably not the issue.
Strangely, the ability to detect the network doesn't change much with distance from the router (though the signal drops to -89 dBm).   And, in fact when I move to another end of the house I detect the neighbors router much better than my own.  Must be something fishy about my router.

David

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: