Go Down

Topic: Balancing robot for dummies (Read 145 times) previous topic - next topic

psychoul

hey kas,

thanks for welcoming me :D

I am from Cyprus (where the temperature dropped under 20 degrees just yesterday...oof)

So you all guys practice the skill of patience when ordering stuff huh!? Its a very bad feeling. I am waiting for 20 days now, for some fast diodes to arrive to build the h-bridge of my robot.

I have already build the brain platform on a breadboard, and some general structure for the algorithm which allows wireless debugging and settings changes through Xbee.

For the chassis, I really liked your idea and I was able to find the materials from a local store :D. The only problem is my motors. I have these http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1123 cheap motors. I believe they will be able to balance the bot for tiny angle errors but not if I push the robot. What do you think?

novice

Hi psychoul,

with Arduino compatible boards being so affordable ($24) it would be much easier for you to replicate 'exactly' what kas did.

psychoul

hey novice, well I am not looking into replicating the code. After all the purpose is not to just have a balancing robot but the procedure. The "problem" that I am facing is on the mechanical part of the project, being the delays from the hardware stores. Thanks.

kas

Dec 12, 2010, 06:15 pm Last Edit: Dec 12, 2010, 06:17 pm by kas Reason: 1
I am from Cyprus (where the temperature dropped under 20 degrees just yesterday...oof)
I'am jealous  >:(

The only problem is my motors. I have these http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1123 cheap motors. I believe they will be able to balance the bot for tiny angle errors but not if I push the robot. What do you think?
:-? :-? :-?

120:1 Mini Plastic Gearmotor:  120RPM, 80mA @4.5V (0.36W) 20 oz.in
29:1 Metal Gearmotor:  350RPM, 300mA @12V (3.6W) 110 oz.in

I am affraid it's a bit short (been there, done that with Solarbotics GM9's)
120RPM is borderline
Motors may not have enough torque for rapid Forward/backward transitions

Make your boot as light as possible (<500g)
use big wheels (>80mm)
and... let us know ;)

psychoul

Don't be jealous! Quite the opposite! We are (or I am at least!) quite bored of all the sunlight and the heat since June. Its Xmas! it should be snowing and be cold :D

Yes you are right about the motors but I am bit short on money currently so I would like to test the motors before upgrading.

Personally I am very interested in control (control theory) implementations. I found the balancing robot to be an ideal objective to play around with different control ideas, PID, fuzzy logic, adaptive etc etc. But I need to establish a good platform first before digging into those areas.

How about you. It seems you are interested about control as well. Any other interesting projects or something?

Go Up