Go Down

Topic: Will the arduino Uno adc burn if the input voltage is around 5.25V? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

yaantey

Hey,

I am using 10k resistor in series with 2 schottky diodes which cuts of any voltage above 5.25V? So my question is will this voltage still burn the arduino ADC?

be80be

The chip is able to use 5.5 Volt supply. The data sheet said 0 to VCC

So if VCC is 5 volts then No i wouldn't use 5.25 on a ADC pin your reading would be off

I would use a 5 volt zener diode

Magician

All inputs, digital and analog  protected internally with diodes. You need only resistor to limit current < 1mA.     10k is capable to protect up to 15V :   15V - 5V / 10k = 1 mA

smeezekitty

From the datasheet:
Voltage on any Pin except RESET
with respect to Ground ................................-0.5V to VCC+0.5V

Since the VIN should be around 5v, 5.25 < 5.5v.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

James C4S

Funny how only pieces of answers are given when the question "Can I put XXX volts on an I/O pin?"

True, the spec sheet says:

From the datasheet:

So consider your VCC source.  If using Vin, consider how stable your supply is and what it's ACTUAL maximum will be.  When using USB, realize that USB's spec allows Vusb to be between:  4.75V and 5.25V.  Keep in mind there is an on-board fuse (which nominally should be 0ohms, but could drop a small amount of voltage.)

So, if powered by Vusb there is the potential for VCC to drop down to 4.75V which means the Maximum to any I/O pin is now 4.75V+0.5V = 5.25V.

Will it burn the ADC?  No.  If anything did get taken out, it might be that particular input of the MUX going into the ADC.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

be80be

He doesn't say if he using the pin as a I/O or analog 

James C4S

He doesn't say if he using the pin as a I/O or analog   

That doesn't matter.

From the datasheet:

Notice the words "any Pin"?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Nick Gammon

I am using 10k resistor in series with 2 schottky diodes which cuts of any voltage above 5.25V?

In what way does a 10K resistor and 2 schottky diodes reduce "any" voltage to 5.25V? I'm just curious, I thought zener diodes were used in that way, but a quick Wikipedia search reveals:

Schottky diodes' voltage drop at forward biases of around 1 mA is in the range 0.15 V to 0.46 V ... which makes them useful in voltage clamping applications

So presumably it can be done, but how?

Go Up