Go Down

Topic: Arduino Cut power! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Catcher

sure, I can use a transistor as a switch rather than connecting it directly to the relay. I'm just putting things on a breadboard right now. This weekend it'll be operating.

TchnclFl

Oh, well I would still recommend a relay, but use a transistor to operate the relay (seems a bit redundant, I know).  It's using a switch to activate a bigger switch :).  Thus avoiding high current draw directly from an Arduino pin.

retrolefty

Mar 30, 2010, 01:34 am Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010, 01:35 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
Even it the relay doesn't need more than 30ma direct driving it with the arduino is risk due the current spike generated by the relay.

That is the reason to always wire a reverse biased diode right across the relay coil terminals, no matter what voltage or device is driving the coil. I have had no problems driving low current (<30ma) relays directly from an Arduino output pin when properly protected by the transisent suppression diode installed across the relay coil.

Lefty

daveg360

As much as I love to see arduinos used.....
Surely this would do exactly what you need for a few $$$
If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
The Arduino != PC.

TchnclFl

I didn't even think of that, daveg..that could work just as well if not better...

But still, I vote use the Arduino ^_^!

Go Up