Go Down

Topic: My eyes have become mushy!! =( (Read 2480 times) previous topic - next topic

dee3

Hey all,
after spending countless hours in front of the screen searching for arduino projects on (Simple)autonomous mapping, I have thrown in the towel cos my eyes cant take any more screen! Pls if you know of any simple projects on said topic then post a link to it. If not pls give me directions as I am new to Arduino.
I want to build an autonomous robot(car) that will map and learn a simple area, its data will be collected via bluetooth on a pc.

Thanks guys.

PaulS

I want to build an autonomous robot(car) that will map and learn a simple area, its data will be collected via bluetooth on a pc.

This is not a beginner project. Pick some part of it to work on. Make a robot that you can control via a PC. Then, make the robot move on it's own. Then, make it aware of it's environment. Then, make it send that awareness to the PC.

Where is the value, to you, of finding a completed project, and running code someone else invented?

Surely you don't expect full credit for something someone else invented.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

zoomkat

(Simple)autonomous mapping

Doesn't really exist.
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

dee3

Make a robot that you can control via a PC. Then, make the robot move on it's own. Then, make it aware of it's environment. Then, make it send that awareness to the PC.

Where is the value, to you, of finding a completed project, and running code someone else invented?

Surely you don't expect full credit for something someone else invented.

thanks, the reason I searched for a similar project isn't to plagiarise but to have an idea of what direction to take, like a framework, an example of some sort. I know some electronics and j2me but not Arduino, and I must have underestimated its simplicity, like you said its a bit daunting for a beginner

dee3

(Simple)autonomous mappingDoesn't really exist.

Hehehe, I was of the impression I could use 'the right hand rule' to first navigate the area and send the info to a pc which draws up a map and then sends back to the robot for use at other times( therefore, the robot is fully autonomous only after receiving the map) it wont quite learn on its own. cheers

PaulS

I was of the impression I could use 'the right hand rule' to first navigate the area and send the info to a pc which draws up a map

There is no reason you can't.

and then sends back to the robot for use at other times

Again, there is no reason you can't. What you need to determine is when a map is complete, and when the robot is expected to receive that map.

You need to define what that map will look like, how you will send that map back and forth, and how the robot will receive and use the map.

That is NOT a trivial task, and is made more difficult by the fact that the Arduino does not have much memory. You can't fit much of a map into the 2K to 8K of memory that the Arduino has.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Techone

That is NOT a trivial task, and is made more difficult by the fact that the Arduino does not have much memory. You can't fit much of a map into the 2K to 8K of memory that the Arduino has.

That, I agree with PaulS. I was thinking...maybe the Arduino chip is to small, but not your PC. What about a robot "map" a location, send that map to a PC, the PC store it. And when the robot need the map, it is simply download the info compare it to where the robot is.   

Just brainstorming...

keeper63@cox.net

What you're all talking about is known as SLAM - Simultaneous Localization And Mapping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_localization_and_mapping

As has already been noted, it is not a trivial thing to do; but there are plenty of research papers available out there on it, and plenty of people who have made or are building robots or sub-systems for it - all you have to do is google a bit...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

dee3

And when the robot need the map, it is simply download the info compare it to where the robot is.

You need to define what that map will look like, how you will send that map back and forth, and how the robot will receive and use the map.

Thanks PaulS for your thoughts. I was also thinking the same as Techone, download the map when needed and compare to position.
PS the area covered by the robot would not be a large area to begin with, that one is left for companies to deal with!
s

dee3

What you're all talking about is known as SLAM - Simultaneous Localization And Mapping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_localization_and_mapping
.... all you have to do is google a bit...

Thanks Cr0sh! just took a swift glance, good info there.

Go Up