Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: home electronic parts inventory option?  (Read 2558 times)
Seattle
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've got a fairly good collection of electronic parts/ICs.  

It's not unusual for me to buy a set of parts for several projects, then work on some part of project, then put the remaining parts away. Later, I'm not sure what project they were originally acquired for, or worse I might rebuy similar parts or not be 100% sure I have in 'inventory'.

What do you use or recommend or keep track of electronic parts?  Digikey and octopart have a way to store parts but it's not really an inventory or notekeeping system.

The ideals system looks a little like Octopart's part manager but understands that I already own these parts and allows me to put a note on why I bought this part and a quantity (and perhaps where I ordered it from before).  It would understand a 'wish list' for future projects and perhaps  the notion of a project itself.  I could just use a plain excel file (or even wordpad file) but I like the integration with datasheets.

Does something like this already exist?

Thanks, creatrope

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Yes; they are called Inventory Management Systems - they range in price from "free" to "2nd Mortgage on Home" (really, though, those are for business to business transactions).

Check around; here's one I found that is free and -extremely- basic:

http://asset-tracker.sourceforge.net/

Here's another:

http://www.inventory-management.org/

I am sure there are tons more; I've never used any of this software, but I am seeing that I face the same dilemma as you. Solutions exist, though...

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

or CMS (content management systems)

smiley

Just in case you're googling

Mowcius

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

then there is this:

http://www.glass-ware.com/programs/TCJ_Programs_files/page0001.htm

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Hmm, that looks good.

Not sure i'd pay $29 for it though as my stuff is relatively easy to keep a track of at the moment.

Mowcius

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

Its from a portugal, and the forum is writen in protuguese, but i think that google translate can handle it, and if someone as any doubt you can ask in english that almost everyone will reply to you, here it is, the component organizer:
http://lusorobotica.com/index.php?topic=1424.0

CT, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I guess a spreadsheet might be able to do the trick :-/?

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

Not sure i'd pay $29 for it though as my stuff is relatively easy to keep a track of at the moment.

Actually, It is only $19, that's one reason why I use it...  it's affordable and does what I need.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Actually, It is only $19, that's one reason why I use it...  it's affordable and does what I need.
Oh, I must have mis-read. That's not too bad then. I will bookmark it for future reference smiley

Mowcius

Melbourne, Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I use a spreadsheet, each tab is for  different type of component, e.g. displays, resistors, capacitors, etc. I have almost everything noted, supplier code, last price paid, values, current, voltage, RoHS, data sheet number (also have a file of data sheets, etc). Also keep a copy of it on google docs so I can look at it on the mobile phone.

Check out my Arduino tutorials at http://tronixstuff.com/tutorials - Order my new Arduino book from http://www.arduinoworkshop.com

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

You sound much too organised for me!

:p

Mowcius

Ontario, Canada
Arduino . . . the little board that could!
View Profile

I also tend to buy parts for several projects at the same time, however long ago I was introduced to two products that when combined have revolutionized how I store and package the various components so that they don't get lost or misplaced or whose original purpose gets forgotten.

The two products are called Sharpie markers and Ziploc freezer bags.

Once I have secreted my new contraband past my wife and safely made it down to my workshop, I label a Ziploc bag with the name of the project and possibly the source; then place the required components into the bag . . . sometimes including a copy of the schematic or magazine article. If I have already acquired a suitable enclosure, I place it in the bag if it is small enough . . . otherwise if it is too large, then I tape the bag of goodies inside the enclosure.

A $1 for a Sharpie and $3 for 25 heavy duty (reusable) Ziploc freezer bags is money well spent and eliminates both confusion and the tendency to buy twice . . . build once.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Once I have secreted my new contraband past my wife and safely made it down to my workshop

LOL  ;D LOL

You sound like me!

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Mobile, AL
CAUTION!-Slow Learner
View Profile

Inventory mangement system?  That sure is getting origanized....  With all my parts it would take a LONG time to enter everything.... but I sure do need something like that.

I think I'll work on a spreadsheet - I do like those.

Thanks for the "bump"" to get me started.

Ken H>

Ontario, Canada
Arduino . . . the little board that could!
View Profile

cr0sh

I was cleaning up my workshop this weekend . . . the first hour plus was cleaning up the mess left by my teenager . . . the next two hours was spent sorting and tossing enough stuff to fill two garbage bags and I am still not done.

My wife was just dying to join in and really show me how to do it, but there was NO way I was going to let her in to see how much stuff I really have squirreled away down there. Even my teenager is constantly amazed to see me pull something out of nowhere that he had never found before.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: