Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Conway's Game Of Life desk toy/ornament with 128x64 graphic LCD  (Read 1733 times)
West Yorkshire, UK
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Very cool, Riva, unfortunately does not (yet) fit the criteria of "budget" or "off-the-shelf" !

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I think I have an answer!

I just tried shining a LED through a black drinking straw, you get quite a nice little circle of light on the ceiling of a dark room.

The 'projector' would be quite big.... it won't be easy to get a nice regular grid of pixels to cover a large area...but it can be done!

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

View Profile

Use a magnifying glass and put the leds at the focal point.

Easy and makes a very simple projector.

West Yorkshire, UK
God Member
View Profile

I just tried shining a LED through a black drinking straw, you get quite a nice little circle of light on the ceiling of a dark room.

Interesting... how long does the straw need to be to get the effect, or rather how short can you make it and still get the effect?

West Yorkshire, UK
God Member
View Profile

Use a magnifying glass and put the leds at the focal point.

Easy and makes a very simple projector.

Yes, that's the kind of thing.

Remember I want to achieve a high pixel count, at least 64x64 but ideally higher than the 128x64 I have now. Clearly 4,096 individual LEDs is impractical, so some POV/scanning technique would be needed.

Another idea I had was to use a 128x64 OLED display and put a magnifying glass above that .
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:37:43 am by PaulRB » Logged

View Profile

The magnifying glass is a projector without the collimator so the picture will be upside down.
The focalpoint is actually a plane and not a point so a ledmatrix will be projected as an image.

It works better than a straw because it collects the light instead of blocking it.
The projected image brightness will be dependent on the distance since all of the light in a single led is averaged over the size of the projected dot of the led.

I have built a number of led discolight effects using this and it works even if the room is not dark.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Interesting... how long does the straw need to be to get the effect, or rather how short can you make it and still get the effect?

That's up to you. If you haven't got a straw then try rolling some paper around a pencil or something.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

West Yorkshire, UK
God Member
View Profile

Next idea: this display placed at a 45 degree angle, illuminated by a bright LED, perhaps a colour-cycling RGB, with a focussing lens placed above. What do you think?

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Next idea: this display placed at a 45 degree angle, illuminated by a bright LED, perhaps a colour-cycling RGB, with a focussing lens placed above. What do you think?
I don't think reflection will work very well but you never know.
I pulled apart one of the little Nokia LCD's and as suspected it does use the horrible rubberised connection to the PCB but I think it would be possible to cut out the centre of the PCB under the display matrix and shine a light through (I did not remove the reflective backing) the LCD mounted in a clear plastic/glass package.
Another idea would be a LCD like this (or this) that uses a flat ribbon connector so may lift off the backing board and work with light shone through it.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it. Piss on it and walk away.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: