Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Magnetic levitation  (Read 24830 times)
Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

That would allow them to drop but not all the way to people level.
that could be part of the show smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Would this electromagnet work? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11401.m1842.l3160/7?euid=4da31cf6c6b447e3a49e34bf2a6a599b&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D170710884727%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AL%3AOU%3AUS%3A3160&exe=10013&ext=100025&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

View Profile

So I'm having trouble making this work. I don't know if it's because of the electromagnet I used (the one in the link above) or because I used a different hall effect sensor. The sensor I used is the ss495a (a ratiometric type hall sensor commonly used in non-arduino levitators). When I hold the magnet close both of the lights go from being off to flashing rapidly and I can hear the electromagnet and feel a pulse in the magnet I'm holding, but it doesn't levitate.

Any help? I'm so exited to get this working!

Chicago
With every answer comes more questions.
View Profile

That's a great update of this old Popular Electronics project from 1996 —

http://www.coilgun.info/lev_popelex1996/home.htm

You should send it in as a Flashback/Update article...?

Nice work.

Mumbai, India
View Profile

Hey how did you make the electromagnet??

View Profile

I'm about to build an electromagnetic levitation machine myself, but I've got a few questions (being an amateur to Arduino itself...)
-What Hall Effect Sensor should I use? Apparently I'm looking for a non-latching sensor that can vary the strength of the field to counteract gravity (instead of simply tripping ON/OFF whenever a magnet is nearby). Where would I find this?
-Is it possible to use an electromagnet at an angle instead of pointing straight down? If not, is it possible to use a 'bent' electromagnet (i.e. the iron core is bent at an angle, and the wire wraps around it as such)?
-What kind of power supply should I use? Would a stronger power supply (probably more amps? Volts?) equal a stronger magnet (and thus able to 'lift' heavier objects)? If so, how well would a series of NiCd batteries (say maybe 10) fare?
All help is much appreciated, as well as good links.

Nova Scotia
View Profile

Nice project! I've always considered creating my own. Where can I find one of the large coils? Would a speaker work once the back paper is pulled off?

View Profile

I found this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009M86TFG/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H4GF5KJX48AW) on Amazon. Apparently it modifies the Hall Effect Sensor to better work with the Arduino. Not exactly cheap, though...
Would this work? It has analog output.
Also found this ( ), which helps a lot to explain how to build this kind of circuit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:12:17 am by elementcollector1 » Logged

View Profile

where is arduino the code.......????

View Profile

Can i levitate an iron or steel bolt using hall effect sensor without using permanent magnet?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Can i levitate an iron or steel bolt using hall effect sensor without using permanent magnet?

Yes in theory one could. However the strength of the electromagnet would have to be much stronger to control a non-magnetic 'target' of the same mass weight as the permanent magnet 'target'.

View Profile

I think there is a bug in PID code. In D component, "derivative of sensor value had used. But I think  "derivative of error" should be used.

Am I right ??

View Profile

For those with control problems, was enough for me to add a first order filter on the sensor (without this insertion was not possible for me to stabilize) and change the ranges of threshold to enter in control mode (due to being using another hall effect sensor). The initial control parameters are sufficient for stabilization and I only realized a fine adjustment.

Good luck everyone and greetings from Brazil.

View Profile

For vslma:
" I think there is a bug in PID code. In D component, "derivative of sensor value had used. But I think  "derivative of error" should be used.

Am I right ?? "

If the reference is constant there is no difference between the derivative of the error and the derivative of the output.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: