Go Down

Topic: Connecting Geophone Having 5 PIN Female Connector to Arduino Mega 2560 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

A raw Geophone sensor is just a moving coil around a fixed magnet. It works on the same principle as a dynamic microphone 'sensor' or a permanent magnet loudspeaker. It is incapable of generating a DC output, just an AC voltage over a limited frequency band determined by the mechanical limitations of the design.

One must process this signal on a arduino just like the would and audio signal, with external circuitry scaled to fit in 0-5vdc range and a offset of +2.5 to center the response measurement around the zero crossings of the sensors signal. Often logarithmic amplifiers are required if one needs to try and capture the whole possible range that a geophone is capable of.

Geophones were designed to be used in arrays to detect the underground echos from explosive charges set off in exploring for oil, gas formations or other geological properties of the ground being explored.

They are often used to form a lost cost seismometer and while not as sensitive and stable as a true seismometer there are much more compact and lower cost.

I've looked into geophone circuits for hobbyist use in the past and there were many to be found on the web, just google around and I'm sure you can find enough information to get started. Make no mistake, the project will first have to focus on the external analog design needed to adapt a geophone to a arduino application.

Lefty

patilchetan

@retrolefty :

Thanks for detailed explanation.

BTW : I again observed the output of my Geophone however this time on DSO. I was able gather following observation :
1) Max Output : 1 V
2) Min Output : 30 mV
3) Also high frequency noise

I'll make a pre-amplifier circuit and then an ADC and will give digital output to Arduino.

Go Up