Go Down

Topic: Recreating the BMW Kinetic Sculpture? (Read 2613 times) previous topic - next topic

iejun

Found this ....its seems if i use a couple of these i can use 128 servo's

https://www.iprototype.nl/products/robotics/drivers-controllers/servo-controller-8-servos

CrossRoads

Pricey. 6 or 8 or 16 boards will add up.
For the price of a couple of those you could just get a 2nd Mega and do 96 servos.
Or find a less expensive source.
Does provide a convenient way to plug 8 servos in tho.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

iejun

aye ..but then you need to find a way to sync 2 omega boards ..or is that easy done

MarkT

hey all,

I'm trying to create a miniature version (less balls) of this just because it looks cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlx-M53dC7M&feature=related

It looks like they attach string to a ball and then this gets moved up or down on the y axis. Together they create a 3d object.

I  thought about stepper motor to move the balls up and down accurately but they are expensive especially as i would need loads so thats out of the question!!

I then thought of modding some mini servos to have 360 rotation but can't work out if i will be able to still maintain accuracy needed to postion the ball correctly?
There is no accuracy of any kind if you just use a motor (a continuous rotation servo is not a servo, its
a motor + driver).  You would need to sense position or angle somehow.
Then i thought about standard dc motors with a gearing system and B&W sensors so that as the motor turns it can detect repeating blocks of white and black to detect where it is but thats a little to complicated!
A DC gearmotor with an encoder would work.  Cost is the issue.

What about just using a hobby servo with a long actuator arm and a very light ball on the string?
Anyway i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the accuracy of modded servos? can i still position it accurately? Or does this sound like a stepper motor job?
I suspect you could use the potentiometer of a modded servo to keep track of position and turn count
in some rather hacked together way as a crude encoder - probably with a gap on every rotation for a bit!
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy