Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Power Mosfets for a H-Bridge?  (Read 2141 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

What are some good power mosfets for an arduino powered h bridge? I am looking for some "Logic Level" mosfets in order to drive them without any additional hardware.

I have been looking at the IRLZ44 and the specs seem to be enough to drive a 5A load but I can't seem to find a matching P-CHANNEL Mosfet for the high side of the h bridge.

Any help? Thanks !

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Does your motor need 5V, or something higher? if it needs more than 5V then you will have to level-shift the drive to the P-channel mosfets, in which case there is no need for them to be logic-level. If you do need logic-level P-channel mosfets, then IRLIB9343PBF, NDP6020P or MTP50P03HDLG may be suitable.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Edison Member
View Profile

It is hard to say what is 'good'.
I look at the specifications to see if it fits my demands. For power mosfets there is no commonly used type.

The more current a mosfet can handle, the lower the voltage drop (drain-source voltage drop if turned 'on').
For a tiny motor of 1A, I like to use a logic level power mosfet that can handle 20A.

View Profile

Does your motor need 5V, or something higher? if it needs more than 5V then you will have to level-shift the drive to the P-channel mosfets, in which case there is no need for them to be logic-level. If you do need logic-level P-channel mosfets, then IRLIB9343PBF, NDP6020P or MTP50P03HDLG may be suitable.

What do you mean exactly by level-shifting? Yes, I was expecting to use some 12v dc motors and drive them using the arduino.

Am I wrong or do I need 2xN Channel + 2xP Channel to build a H-Bridge?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:26:52 pm by juanps90 » Logged

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

What do you mean exactly by level-shifting? Yes, I was expecting to use some 12v dc motors and drive them using the arduino.

Am I wrong or do I need 2xN Channel + 2xP Channel to build a H-Bridge?

You can build an H-bridge either using 2xN + 2xP channel mosfets, or using 4xN-channel mosfets. Either way, you need to level-shift the drive to the upper mosfets, unless you are using a 5V supply and P-channel upper mosfets.

Suppose you are using a 12V supply and P-channel upper mosfets. Their source terminals are at +12V, so to turn them off, their gates need to be at about +12V too. To turn them on, their gates need to be at +7V or lower if they are logic level mosfets (i.e. 5V gate drive). The Arduino can only put out 0V and +5V, which you therefore need to turn into +7V and +12V (or the other way round). This is known as level shifting. Since it normally needs at least a transistor to do it, you may as well amplify the signal at the same time. For example, you can convert the 0V and +5V into +12V and 0V, allowing you to drive P-channel mosfets that need 10V gate drive. This gives you a better choice of mosfets. See the attached schematic for one possible way of doing it.

High current H-bridges are usually built using 4x N-channel mosfets. This is trickier because you need higher gate drive voltage for the upper mosfets (i.e. the supply voltage + either 5V or 10V). However, there are some ICs  designed for this purpose.

* Scan 44.JPG (92.59 KB, 1653x1165 - viewed 73 times.)

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

Thanks for such a clear explanation.

I understand that the diagram that you posted includes one pair of N-Channel mosfets and one pair of P-Channel mosfets. The drawing is pretty clear, thank you.

So, how can I build an H bridge consisting of 4 N-Channel mosfets? because I currently have the N-Channel type so it would be nice to make use of them. I'm guessing i would need additional hardware since I would need to increase the gate voltage even more to reach the necessary Vgs.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:29:10 am by juanps90 » Logged

View Profile

It is hard to say what is 'good'.
I look at the specifications to see if it fits my demands. For power mosfets there is no commonly used type.

The more current a mosfet can handle, the lower the voltage drop (drain-source voltage drop if turned 'on').
For a tiny motor of 1A, I like to use a logic level power mosfet that can handle 20A.

I can't seem to find ANY P-Channel Mosfet that is a logic level one on eBay. Are they not used at all or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks !

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
View Profile

In the diagram I provided, the P-channel mosfets don't need to be logic level because they get 12V gate drive.

To use 4xN-channel mosfets, use e.g. two IRS2003 or IRS2004 driver chips, or one HIP4080A.

View Profile

Would it be possible to use transistors to drive a higher voltage to the mosfet gates?

I was just thinking that, even though you mention that the P-Channel mosfets do not need to be logic level MOSFETS, the N-Channel ones do have to unless I use some transistor to drive a higher voltage. Am I right?

Thanks for helping me !

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
View Profile

In the schematic I posted, the P-channel mosfets are drive by NPN transistors that level shift, invert and amplify the mosfet gate drive. So they don't need to be logic-level mosfets. It would certainly be possible to amplify the gate drive to the N-channel mosfets too. However, logic-level N-channel mosfets are readily available, so this isn't worthwhile unless you also need to reduce the switching time.

View Profile

Thanks for answering that.

The problem is that, besides running a 12v motor, I am also planning to build another robot and use 5v, same as the atmega328, so in that case I would definitely need logic level mosfets, right?

For the 12v robot that I am going to build I will take your suggestion and use standard P-Channel Mosfets using the circuit that you posted.

Thanks!

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ebay now has fairly inexpensive h-bridges that might be of interest. If you want to DIY an h-bridge, the below discussion might be worth a read.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=53425.0

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

I was actually trying to keep everything on a single pcb besides learning.

And yes, I had seen the post that you linked.

Thanks !

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: