Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: button and led strip feasability/guidance?  (Read 364 times)
los angeles
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi there,

So I've been hunted for the past few days with a project idea I'm not sure I would be able to achieve so I thought I would post it here and hopefully get some guidance from the community.

I'd like to build a dynamic LED string with ultimately a chain of hundreds of LEDs.

For each LED I'd like to attach a button/sensor to set it's value to true of false (on/off)

In my code I would like to be able to access an array of 'dots' objects [dot1, dot2, dot3, dot4, etc...] where each led would hold a reference the button and the current state. For example dot1 = { ledState:1, buttonState:0, eventuallyAlpha:.4 }

I would be pretty comfortable at the code level, but when it comes to wiring and managing the hardware, I'm gonna need some help... Do you think such a strip would be feasible? What would be the limitations?

Thanks for reading, your help would be much appreciated.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Im new to all this..so take my advice for what its worth!   smiley-razz

I dont think 'controlling' a large amount of LEDS is the bottleneck here..  as that can be overcome by shift registers..etc..

I think the 'problem' will come into play because you want a button to go with each led..

so 100 leds = 100 buttons...etc..

by default.. you wont have enough I/O pins on any current Arduino...

that being said I believe I have seen solutions or posts on using/having a MATRIX of buttons.. (which Im guessing is similar on how large matrix of leds are controlled?)

Id say the first search topic is finding a solution to MASS INPUTS that your ok with..

View Profile

Not too experienced in this, but to start you off you should look into chalieplexing, here is a library http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/Charlieplex , and here is a guy that made a shield for Arduino using chalieplexing http://www.makershed.com/LoL_shield_for_Arduino_p/mkjr3.htm . I do think your overthinking all this, and there may be an easier method of this by using just some simple transistors.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: