Go Down

Topic: ATMEGA2560 16AU and FT232RL, unable to upload sketches on custom PCB (Read 61 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi, New guy here.
I am in the middle of designing a dev board but am having problems uploading from the arduino environment.

I have loaded the default MEGA 2560 bootloader in the IDE with no issues, and have also uploaded the blink sketch through ICSP using the AVRISP mkII successfully. But attempting to upload through the onboard ft232RL fails.

Even attempting to upload the blink sketch I get this:
Binary sketch size: 1,632 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Also, the blink pattern of the default bootloader seems off to me. It does a double blink, almost like a heart beat. Is that normal?

I am attaching the schematic used for this PCB.

Help!  :(

westfw

It looks to me like you have the FTDI TXD connected to the 2560 TXD, instead of to RXD (and similarly for the other serial signal.)

Is there some class that is designing and building 2560 "custom boards" as a class assignment/project?  There have been an awful lot of "I have a custom 2560 board that isn't quite working" questions recently.  (If so, I'm a bit jealous.  That sounds like a great learning experience.)

Peter_n

Use the ICSP to get a sketch in it that writes text to the serial port, and try to read that on the computer.

A double blink is not normal, it could be this : blink from bootloader, blink from sketch, reset, and again and again.

Do you have an photo-transistor ? You can use that as if it was an electret microphone. Connect it to the computer mic input (as it is, nothing else), and use Audacity to record with it. You can measure how long the blink is that way.

It looks to me like you have the FTDI TXD connected to the 2560 TXD, instead of to RXD (and similarly for the other serial signal.)

Is there some class that is designing and building 2560 "custom boards" as a class assignment/project?  There have been an awful lot of "I have a custom 2560 board that isn't quite working" questions recently.  (If so, I'm a bit jealous.  That sounds like a great learning experience.)

Well that was stupid easy, DOH! I swapped them with a little surgery, and everything works perfectly. Thank you!

It has been a learning experience, but its not for a class. That would be a cool workshop!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy