Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cheap Arduino for a beginner  (Read 393 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Can anyone help me I am looking for a cheap board to mess around with until I have the funds to invest in a big project. I don't care if they are clones as I will buy a Official Arduino when I can afford it with enough supplies to make somthing cool. I have been looking at the funduino uno.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

If you're after inexpensive, why not make a bare bones setup:
bootloaded 328P, 16 MHz xtal, two 22pF caps, 10K resistor, four 0.1uF caps, reset switch.
USB/Serial module for programming.
Can get all here for not much money, add a 5V wallwart for power.
www.dipmicro.com

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy_pins.html

Denmark
View Profile

And what do you mean with "beginner"?

New to electronics?
New to micro-controllers?
New to the Arduino family?

An Uno R3 is something like 30$

If you want cheap, you can get an ft232 board for 3,55$ and a pro mini clone for  2,93$
..... But you will have to solder. How much of a beginner are you?

If you are a real beginning beginner, I would recommend saving up for an original Uno R3.
Then you know that it will be working correctly, and you can start learning.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:33:38 pm by Peter_I » Logged

Bob Pease: "My favorite programming language is ... solder."

View Profile

another option is a mini on e-bay.
with shipping it will be less than $3.00  you will HAVE TO get a usb module to program the unit.  

alas, to do much, you need to connect to other things.  I would recommend you also get stackable headers so you can plug things into the device..

View Profile

Can anyone help me I am looking for a cheap board to mess around with until I have the funds to invest in a big project. I don't care if they are clones as I will buy a Official Arduino when I can afford it with enough supplies to make somthing cool. I have been looking at the funduino uno.

Get an arduino uno clone, they are cheaper. If you are a real beginner building yourself a board may be a big headache.
Heres a clone option (22 USD) http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Seeeduino-V30-Atmega-328P-p-669.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:10:33 pm by mart256 » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

For lowest cost to just get started it's hard to beat the Asian E-bay Nano boards, free shipment, free USB cable, plugs right into a breadboard. $6.55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nano-V3-0-ATmega328P-Module-Board-Free-Mini-USB-Cable-for-Arduino-TR-/181286407178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a35830c0a

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

And only 2.5 to 6+ weeks for delivery ...

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

And only 2.5 to 6+ weeks for delivery ...

Maybe for some, but maybe because I live on the west coast I've never had to wait more then 10-12 days on the dozens and dozens of asian e-bay purchases I've made over the years. Except during their long new years holidays.

View Profile

Maybe for some, but maybe because I live on the west coast I've never had to wait more then 10-12 days on the dozens and dozens of asian e-bay purchases I've made over the years. Except during their long new years holidays.

I'm jealous. It takes 1.5 to 2 months to Southamerica.

NSW Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

I would recommend you also get stackable headers so you can plug things into the device..

Nah, breadboard is cheap enough, more flexible than the UNO and shields.

Salem, Oregon
Friends don't let friends use Strings
View Profile

Can anyone help me I am looking for a cheap board to mess around with until I have the funds to invest in a big project

Really as has been suggested here already, why not buy a real Uno first?  If you can afford the $15 for a clone, why not $30 for the real thing?  I know money can be tight but you really can't afford $15 more to have a reference board to start with?

Then buy a cheap FTDI clone ($3 from eBay) and start making your own sub-$3US boards (or buy some other clones).

Seem cheap insurance to be able to know if the problem is your clone (or some other cheap knock-off) or your code.

Plus you get that warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing your helping do Open Source hardware the right way.

Just my $0.02.

Regards.

Brad
KF7FER

Atlanta, USA
Edison Member
AKA: Ray Burne
View Profile

Really as has been suggested here already, why not buy a real Uno first?

I always respond with the above line.  It makes the most sense: the board will work, run all UNO examples, and is the ultimate "reference" design. Everyone needs one (or more) solid hardware devices for ensuring that a program is actually correct.  Moving away to your code on a one-off clone causes so must frustration.

When you are confident to move forward, then the UNO makes a great "backup" and "sanity" platform, or a nice AVR programmer for your own designs.

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: