Go Down

Topic: Arduino OS (Read 577 times) previous topic - next topic

codlink

Interesting, might have to play with this setup.  Why?  No reason at all.

AVR Linux Project
//LiNK

bperrybap

Feb 21, 2016, 08:04 pm Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 08:05 pm by bperrybap
neither.  avr is the only processor and only additional components are sd card and ram.  this is a well known project from years back.
While it isn't interpreted x86 as westfw mentioned, it is still not running the OS on the AVR.
It is interpreting/emulating ARM instructions through the external RAM.

So no, the AVR isn't running linux. The AVR is emulating an ARM processor and various other h/w which is "running" linux.

Marcus,
Just stop and think for minute, the AVR on an UNO has 32k of flash and 2k of RAM.
It is simply not possible to load linux on it much less android which is another layer on top of linux.
There isn't enough ram to handle the frame buffering needed to run the TFT display for android much less android itself.

--- bill

john1993

While it isn't interpreted x86 as westfw mentioned, it is still not running the OS on the AVR.
It is interpreting/emulating ARM instructions through the external RAM.
So no, the AVR isn't running linux.
i find it hard to consider its the ram or the sd card thats "running" the os. SOMETHING is running linux and if anything its the avr being the only user programmable device there.

in a sense virtually ALL modern computers are interpreting or emulating something.  some of the latest high performance x86 are actually virtual machines running on dec alpha sub-processors.  many cisc and risc mcu at base level have microcoded cores.   one can even look at the logic inside avr as a form of microcode defining the real machine.

regarding emulation and interpreting look at java, python, etc..  even compiled programs are not really running the original source code which may be long gone. so maybe "running" is actually in the eye of the beholder.  semantics.

not practical? admittedly.  running? looks like that to me.  interesting and fun? definitely.

jaw00001

Just stop and think for minute, the AVR on an UNO has 32k of flash and 2k of RAM.
It is simply not possible to load linux on it much less android which is another layer on top of linux.
--- bill
Not only that, but it's lacking a lot of other peripheral stuff that we take for granted in a regular CPU:  There's no MMU to support virtual memory, there's no concept of protection rings (i.e. anyone can write directly to hardware), there's no threading support in the CPU, etc.

That said, imagine if you just made a huge array of ATTiny chips with one acting as the kernel and all the others acting as user mode processes.  I bet you could put something approximating old school Unix on that.  Hmmm....

westfw

I wonder how an AVR emulating a PDP-11 running old-style (2.10bsd?) unix would work?
(all the missing HW features are implemented in the Emulation, of course.)

More generally, I wonder what is the smallest/fastest VM with "real OS" you implement on an AVR, capable of loading programs from SD-cards and using emulated RAM?  OS-9?

john1993

Feb 22, 2016, 04:17 am Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 02:56 pm by john1993 Reason: 8080 not 8800
speaking of pdp i have m328 emulating pdp8.  another emulating 6502 running commodore basic from a thread in this forum and an m8 emulating imsai 8080 (intel 8080) running cpm.  i have a scratch built paper tape reader and hundreds of feet of tape for loading a large collection of programs.  tape that was thrown away 20 years ago now goes for crazy high prices on ebay.  vintage nut? moi?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy