Go Down

Topic: Teaching Capacitor to Kids - Suggestions? (Read 3865 times) previous topic - next topic

pracas

Forget the 25v capacitor, go for one with a higher voltage rating, say 64 or 100.
I was thinking of that... But how about getting a jolt out of say 64V? as of the moment, I've tested the possible caps by hooking them onto the 9v battery in the reverse fashion and they seem to heat after some time but no flames so far. Will still consider the above option if someone can confirm. Lol! its been crazy with me setting up all combinations of caps plugged in and waiting to see if they may explode!
Be The Change...

jackrae

Pracas,
The capacitor will only charge to the voltage you use as a souce.  The energy it stores is dependant upon capacity and voltage.  A 64volt unit has better dielectric strength (insulation) than a 25 volt one - that's all.  a 100volt capacitor of 8 microfarads charged from a 9 volt battery will store exactly the same energy (and voltage) as a 12 volt capacitor of 8 microfarads.
jack

Udo Klein

Check out my experiments http://blog.blinkenlight.net

pracas

We Started off today and As I introduced Capacitors, I mentioned safety precautions leading to a round of questions on 'what if' and when i warned the kids of the possibilities of explosion, every one wanted a demo. I veered it away from them at that point. kind of dilemma there...  :(
Be The Change...

Nerdful_things

Tear apart an old speaker, a real speaker, not a computer speaker. Non polarized caps are used in the crossover or in cheap speakers, just to the tweeter.

Go Up