Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Cheapest possible Arduino (DIY)  (Read 3284 times)
South UK
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all, I'm getting to the point now that I would like to leave a couple of projects working that I have built around the Arduino.

Could someone point me in the direction of making my own Arduino with the minimum required components? I will be programming chips in my Uno more than likely then swapping them out so I don't need any USB bridge stuff

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:14:21 am by dtokez » Logged

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

Dustin Andrews' ExtraCore was pretty much designed for this purpose:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ExtraCore-Arduino-Compatible/262175783799966

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

View Profile

I'm doing the same. I'm pretty much taking the component list found here: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone and building an Arduino with it.
I'm ignoring the FTDI/FT232 and AVR programmer stuff as I will be programming the chip using my Uno and then transferring it over. This helps reduce the cost greatly. The Atmega chip will run you about $4.50 (for one with a pre-loaded bootloader) and the other components, if you don't have them already, will run about $5 total as well--so the completed package should be ~$10. You should also pick up a 28 pin (14x2) DIP socket if you plan on using a PCB, so you can easily swap out the Atmega.

Unfortunately I can't help much with the PCB component, as I'm building an arduino with built-in ethernet using a custom PCB, but I'm sure there are some plans for a simple arduino PCB you can buy/make somewhere. If not, you could try using Fritzing or some other design program to create a PCB based on your breadboard (looks fairly simple) which you can then create or ship out to get manufactured.

Edit: I've also seen some people build Arduino's with even less parts (pretty much just an Atmega & 16 Mhz crystal w/ some capacitors as I recall), but I don't remember the links.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:03:56 am by CW3MH6 » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Try this
http://store.nkcelectronics.com/arduino-runtime-board-rev-b.html
all needed parts available really inexpensively from dipmicro.com
ATMega328P-PU from mouser, newark, digikey

The Mini-uino at my signature link can also be had inexpensively if you can do surfacemount.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

South UK
God Member
View Profile

Thanks guys. I'm in the UK but those NKC boards look really good! I'll have to check for shipping info. I can solder SMD no worries but I'm after something that I can easily program, hence thinking to use a Uno - and I'm a bit of a noob?

Thanks for the heads up on the standalone link that looks like a good info source. Just looking at Eagle though and I can't find a library with the Atmega 168 or 328 anywhere. I've looked in the sparkfun, atmel, & avr_7 libs, anyone know if I'm just being stupid? lol

Thanks

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

try the sparkfun library
ATMEGA168

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

also look at the electrofun website http://www.electrofunltd.com/p/arduchip.html
the arduchip is quite a cheap solution

and them that doesn't

South UK
God Member
View Profile

Got the Sparkfun Lib but can only find SMD versions of the 168 in there?

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

aha u want pth standby

search for *MEGA* with SMD check box not checked

and them that doesn't

South Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

All you really need is the ATMega328 or 328P, a resonator for the clock and a 0.1 cap from +5 to ground. You can build it on a breadboard and use an Arduino board as an ISP to load either the bootloader or a sketch. I have one running on a breadboard that I talk to through a serial port and it functions just like my Arduino board.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Boards can be bootoaded with Optiloader thru the SPI (D12-12-13) and Reset pins, then sketches down loaded via serial lines D0/D1.
https://github.com/WestfW/OptiLoader

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

If you want standard arduino form factor, and don't want to source all the parts yourself. This is the cheapest I have found:

http://evilmadscience.com/productsmenu/tinykitlist/180

Keep in mind this does not include dip socket, pin headers, and voltage regulator.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

There are some E-bay sellers that sell standalone kits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Arduino-compatible-minimalist-kit-JeonLab-mini-v1-3-/270904745701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f132e5ee5

Cleveland, TN
View Profile

In Eagle, it's the Mega8. Same pin out for the 168 and the 328 and they have both packages.

Also, don't think to hard on this. You are not really re-creating the UNO board. You are just creating the power, crystal and 328 portion of the board. There are lots of resources out there for breadboarding 328s. Buying an UNO knockoff is likely going to cost more and you are getting a lot of functionality you probably don't need. Program on the UNO and move the chip to your breadboard. Other than power, it really is that simple.

Luck,

Wade

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Don't forget 10K Reset pin pullup resistor.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: