Go Down

Topic: Which Arduino boards support an USB data connection? (Read 68 times) previous topic - next topic

simba82

Coming from a RPi-ARM-kinda environment I'm still struggling with the many different Arduino boards and their microprocessors. One thing that I'm currently looking into is USB connectivity.

I see that some of the smaller boards have a micro usb connector which can be used for power only, but not for data. How can I tell if the pins on the boards support a USB connector or not? I guess it might be by looking at the processor and see if it supports USB?

I have ordered a pair of Pro Mini's, together with an FTDI break-out board to connect it to a PC.
But are there any (small) boards that have this "natively" where you just solder the USB wires to the board and go?

Hope this is the correct forum location...
Thx!

rogerClark

There are 2 small boards which have a USB connector (and connectivity) The Arduino Nano, which is basically a miniaturized Duemilanove, as it has an on board FTDI USB to serial (under the board)

Or a board called a Pro Micro, which is a miniturized Leonardo board and just has a Atmega32U4 as that device has on board USB capability

The Pro Micro is smaller, but there can be USB issues as the board, like the Leonardo enumerates as multiple USB devices, both serial and also HID Keyboard and HID Mouse, and this can cause problems for some people.

The choice is yours.

PS. Search eBay for both. Or I think Sparkfun sell the Pro Micro in the USA

Paul__B

I have ordered a pair of Pro Mini's, together with an FTDI break-out board to connect it to a PC.  But are there any (small) boards that have this "natively" where you just solder the USB wires to the board and go?
Soldering USB wires - or at least connectors - to a board is not for the faint-hearted.  The Pi is an oddity, using the USB connector for power only (like my phone).  That would be grossly wasteful on an Arduino; whichever model (Pro Micro, Nano) has a USB connector has it for USB connectivity.

Hope this is the correct forum location...
As good as any!

CrossRoads

All but the Promini support USB connectivity. The ProMini needs a USB/Serial adapter module, commonly called an FTDI Basic, or equivalent (CP2102, CH340, etc).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up