Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: 240VAC, splitting up  (Read 5020 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Yea, I was going to hook the unit up to a 60 amp breaker.

Any suggestions on distribution blocks? Still looking for those...

God Member
View Profile

Distribution connections are done at the bussbars, breakers, and contactors.. If further interconnects required use DIN mounted pheonix blocks.

View Profile

Think this will work to split power from the input receptacle to the various loads? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/39910-0106/?qs=QQJxVsr8EGadqRk8HMoGrw%3d%3d

God Member
View Profile

It would if you are making a PCB, but for point to point wiring use a DIN Mount terminal block or 600V rated cinch blocks, such as:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cinch/5-140/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvlX3nhDDO4APw%252bwxg2PlKFhBDz%252bM%252bEODQ%3d

available in various styles. If you use the open back ones(non 600VAC rated) you must place an insulator behind the barrier strip.

View Profile

Hmmm. It seems with those, each terminal is isolated. i.e. I couldn't attach a wire from the power in receptacle to the block, and then wire out to each load from there. I was figuring that I would need a total of 4 distribution blocks (h1, h2, neutral, ground) to keep from an unruly mess of wires.

God Member
View Profile

They sell cinch block jumpers....

Ohio
View Profile

If i follow what you are wanting to do, I would recommend a 2-pole 60A breaker in your main panel. Appropriately sized wire to the desired location, terminated in a load center. Similar to this, but you'll need a total of 6 spaces http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SQUARE-D-Homeline-174-Load-Center-1D512
Install properly sized breakers to feed each load. This will properly protect your equipment. The problem with just a distribution block is if one piece of equipment were to short or draw excess current, it would need to draw enough to trip the 60A breaker protecting all of it, each component could now be protected with an individual breaker. Do not install the neutral bonding screw in the load center. From the load center you could then use a 15A breaker with 14awg THHN to your power supply, and so on. Everything stays protected, you stay within code.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:45:43 pm by a_m_922 » Logged

View Profile

a_m, that makes great sense. I think i would smell it if one of the pumps was drawing 60 amps, but this looks to be a much better solution to distributing power, while preventing massive current draws. Thank you.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: