Go Down

Topic: MC34063A based switching boost regulator, 3.7V Li-Ion, Charging, and Power (Read 2086 times) previous topic - next topic

TL;DR: How do I properly combine a battery charger and a battery step-up switching power supply into a robust power delivery circuit?

I'm building my first AVR-based portable device (yay!)
It will drive some LED counters, which are a little bit power hungry (boo!)
It needs to run for a day at a time (argh!)
I'm thinking it will draw on average about 100 mA at 5V. This means I'd want something like a 2200 mAh 3.7V Li-Ion cell to power it, for enough energy, and a boost-type switching controller for going to 5V and being reasonably efficient with that energy.
As an additional requirement, I'd like the device to be chargeable by simply plugging in a wall wart. However, I haven't designed any chargers before, so I'm hoping to look before I leap by asking the advice of this august collection of contributors!

The circuit will be something like:
[Wall Wart ->] Linear charging regulator -> Battery -> MC34063 switching regulator -> Arduino/AVR
I can put a rectifier diode from the linear regulator to the battery, so the battery doesn't power it backwards when un-attached.
Also, I have an analog-in left on the AVR, which I can use as voltage sense (or current sense?) for controlling the charging, even though the Li-Ion cell already has overcharge/overdischarge protection. Something like a depletion-mode MOSFET between the charging regulator and the battery will let me control the charge, while not getting in the catch-22 of having to power on the AVR to allow it to charge, but not having enough charge to power it on, which I'd be into if I used an enhancement-mode switch :-)

Things I especially worry about:
# Wall Wart + 5V regulator + 4.5 ohm depletion mode MOSFET -> battery -- will this be sufficient for charge control? I think so, but I've been wrong before :-)
# Charger -> Battery -> MC34063 step-up regulator -- when charging, I'll get something close to 5V on the input, which is also what I will set the output to. Will I drive the regulator bonkers here or will it deal with it? I'm using the step-up circuit from the data sheet (see attached -- I adjust it to go from 3.7V to 5V instead of 12 to 28).
# Mechanical connection of the battery -- any good, solid components that add zero weight yet can take a crowbar to them and keep sticking? Recommendations solicited :-)

I'll listen to and appreciate any and all advice!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131