Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Inductive Battery Charging  (Read 694 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everyone,

i would like to supply my Arduino with a Battery.
But I want to Recharge it with an Inductive System. Does anyone has experience with that?
Are there matching systems/products on the Market anywhere?

Thank you and have a nice Day
Kelevra86

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Several electric toothbrush manufacturers use an inductive charge system so you might be able to salvage components from an old set.

View Profile

I know, but I don´t need that tiny amount of current. 200mA or more would be fine.

In addition I have to charge it with an "air-distance" of ~4cm between primary and secondary coil.

View Profile

By ~7-8V

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I know, but I don´t need that tiny amount of current. 200mA or more would be fine.

In addition I have to charge it with an "air-distance" of ~4cm between primary and secondary coil.

I suspect that needing/wanting a 200ma charge rate and 4cm of distance between the coils using air as the magnetic coupling media is going to take very large coils and probably not practical. There is a reason most power transformers of nearly any wattage use a ferrous metal as the magnetic coupling media. Air is pretty inefficient for transferring power.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

200mA at 7V = 1.4 Watts

That sounds high for inductive charging.  You might want to look into the Powermat to see what kind of power it can transfer:  http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/recent-teardowns/2011/10/inside-the-powermat-wireless-charging-system/

Also, this instructable might be useful, especially page 6: http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Power-Transmission-Over-Short-Distances-U/step6/Data/

It'll give you a good idea of how large of a wire and coils you would need for milliwatt performance...

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: